They were children

Reilyn and Garrin walked back to camp, giving each other small awkward glances. Both tried opening their mouths to speak, both clamped them shut and looked away from each other. Neither knew what to say, so they walked wordlessly side by side. They made it back to the five soldiers packing up, pausing to look at them. Jac snickered and whispered something in Emyr’s ear. Daffyd dusted his hands off, turned to Reilyn and Garrin, and gave them a curious glance. 

The women returned to packing up. Jac elbowed Emyr in the ribs, grinning up at the taller man. Emyr sighed and reached into his satchel, pulling out two quid and slapping them into Jac’s open hand. Jac’s grin spread ear to ear as he accepted his reward for winning their bet. 

Daffyd made his way over to Reilyn and Garrin. Garrin raised an eyebrow as Daffyd looked between them, his gaze settling on the large redhead. “S-so earlier,” Daffyd awkwardly began. “I noticed your body.” 

“You have a problem with me?” Garrin crossed his arms, glaring at the short blond. 

“No i-it’s not that!” Daffyd waved his hands, he felt a drop of sweat slide down his forehead. “I make masculinization concoctions. I-I have some clients like you.” 

“Oh.” Garrin relaxed his arms.

Daffyd smiled. “So, if you’re low, you can just ask me.” 

Garrin nodded. “Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.” 

The short blond man sighed, relieved, and walked back to help pack up camp. Reilyn looked up at Garrin with a frown. 

“You no doubt have some unpleasant experiences,” Reilyn wrapped his fingers around Garrin’s hand. “But it seems you’re among friends here.” 

“So are you.” Garrin tightened his hand around Reilyn’s. “Even if we’re dumbasses sometimes.” 

Reilyn laughed. “I know.” He smiled up at Garrin.

---

By vespers, the group of seven approached the town of Narber. 

“Lay’Arber.” Reilyn glanced around the battered palisade, under the late orange sky, past the town guards and around at the common folk going about their days. Finishing up their chores and closing their shops. 

“Lay…what?” Jac put a hand on his hip.

Reilyn rolled his eyes. “Sorry. Narber. It just sounds so boring in Morgaan.” 

“Harsh.” Jac laughed. 

They made their way into the town, nodding politely at the guards and gaining curious glances from townsfolk. Reilyn tried approaching a few, only for them to ignore him. He sighed, looking back at his friends. Jac walked up, patting Reilyn’s shoulder. “I got this.” 

Jac brushed a strand of light brown hair from his face, he approached a young woman and smiled at her. She shyly looked at him. “Hello.” She greeted, fiddling with her dress. 

“I was wondering,” Jac gave the lady a crooked grin. “If you can point me in the direction of a man called Myrddin Lu Griffyid. My compatriots and I have come to speak with him.” 

The girl turned from blushing and pruning to horrified. She gasped and took a step back. “T-there!” She pointed to a brothel near the edge of town, just visible from the square. “But I…have chores to take care of.” She fumbled, red faced, and took off before Jac could thank her. 

Jac sighed. “That…could have gone better.” 

“But, we know where to go.” Catrin shrugged, walking up to him, lightly smacking his arm.