This is your home

It was late morning, near the hour of terce. Linda and Reilyn were in Reaper’s Paradise preparing food. The tavern was close to opening, tables clean and preparations nearly done. 

Rena walked down the stairs, over to Linda and Reilyn. She approached them slowly, still unsure of what to make of their hospitality. Linda had given her some of her own old clothes to wear. Rena had on a pink robe with a black wool trim, black leggings and boots, and a short red cape around her shoulders. Linda grinned at the young girl. “It looks way better on you. Good, it’s yours!” 

“I...um...thank you.” Rena’s face turned red. She sat down at the counter, in front of the two of them, quietly watching them work. Reilyn slid a plate of food in front of her. It was a bowl of caboches in potage and cryppys. The broth was amber, with cabbage, carrots and legumes floating around in it. The small sweets on the side smelled of fresh honey and looked satisfyingly crispy. 

Rena picked up the spoon and swirled it around in the soup, taking small sips. She looked overwhelmed with the amount of food in front of her. Putting the spoon down, she picked up one of the cryppys and took a small nibble. Linda watched and crossed her arms. She frowned, concerned. 

“How long has it been since you’ve eaten a meal?” Reilyn walked over to the girl. 

“I…” Rena looked away from him. “I don’t know.” 

Reilyn sat down across from Rena. “Eat slowly then. It might take some time, but you’ll get used to a proper amount of food.” 

Linda finished slicing some cabbage, she looked Reilyn with a raised eyebrow. “Our orphanages feed their children, right?” Reilyn turned to her and nodded. 

“Yes but…” He looked back at Rena. 

“They kicked me out a couple years ago. Told me I was old enough to go on my own.” Rena played with her food, taking small spoonfuls here and there. Linda went quiet and bit her lip. 

“Well.” Reilyn smiled at Rena. “We’re happy to have you here. And Linda’da always makes too much food." Rena giggled at the comment. The girl began taking slightly larger bites of her meal. 

A knock on the tavern door echoed through the room. Linda walked over, unlocking the entrance and letting the first patron of the night into Reaper’s Paradise. “You’re just in time” She beamed at the man. She led him, and the three that followed him in, to a table. Linda chatted the customers up and began taking their orders. 

Rena looked around anxiously, then back at Reilyn. “Do you have anything with a hood?” 

“Your horns?” Reilyn frowned. “No.” He sighed. “This is your home. As long as you need it to be. You don’t have to hide them.” Rena reached her hands up to cover her short, violet horns. The colour matched her large eyes. Reilyn gently pushed her hands away from them. “They show your Eyll’Aras blood. That’s nothing to be ashamed of.” 

“What if they call me a demon?” Her lip quivered. 

Reilyn shook his head. “Then they’ll have to deal with me.” Rena took a deep breath, relaxing a little. “The coast of Tey’Omus, where the Eyll’Aras usually live, we call it Tey’Usica. It’s a lively place, there was a street performer on every street corner. Or, so, it seemed that way. Mataw took me when I was a child, so it’s been a while.” Reilyn sighed. Rena stared at him, waiting for him to continue. “The Eyll’Aras have a love for sailing and fishing, so you see a lot of that too. That trip was the first time I ever really had to be up and about in sunlight. I was grumpy and whiny, but I still remember Tey’Usica and its people very fondly.”