Like a father

The group trudged back to Pembroke. They were greeted by Burgomaster Tomos at the palisade, it was well after dark by the time they made it back. “Leah!” Tomos jogged up to Emyr, who was carrying his daughter. “How is she?” Tomos reached out to take Leah Li Tomos. 

Emyr gently handed the girl over to her father. “She’s been mostly asleep since we found her. But she’s not injured or anything.” Tomos held her in his arms, looking down with relief, and a couple forming tears. 

“Thank whatever powers there be…” The tears fell from Tomos’ eyes and ran down his cheeks. “And thank you.” He looked out over the group, lowering his head to show them respect. “I’ll give you your quid in the morning. For now, I have to get my daughter home.” He smiled, more tears ran down his face. The Burgomaster turned around and carried Leah off into the distance, towards his hut. 

Emyr, Jac, Catrin, Nia and Daffyd looked over at Garrin, who was still carrying the young Eyll girl. “Go on ahead of me.” Garrin told them, motioning his head towards where they were staying. “I’ll meet you at our rooms once I drop this girl off.” 

“A’ight!” Jac gave him an exhausted grin and a small wave. The five soldiers walked off together, leaving Garrin, Reilyn and the girl behind. 

Garrin and Reilyn walked in a tired silence to Reaper’s Paradise. Linda met them halfway there, looking about as haggard and worried as they did. A grin crossed her lips upon seeing the two men. Felix, who was nestled on Reilyn’s shoulder, hopped to the grass, ran to Linda and climbed up to nuzzle her face. Linda giggled and petted the undead rodent “Who is this?” Linda looked over the girl Garrin was carrying. 

“We’re not sure.” Reilyn spoke softly. “She was locked up beside Leah.” Linda looked between Garrin and Reilyn, squinting in confusion. 

“The people we tracked down, they kidnapped the girls.” Garrin mumbled, his grip on the girl tightened. “-And were taking them...somewhere.” Linda’s expression twisted, horrified. She stepped closer to Garrin and Reilyn. 

Reilyn motioned towards the girl. “Can she stay at Reaper’s Paradise?” He pleaded. “I’ll take care of her out of my own quid.” 

Linda sighed and shook her head. “We can’t leave her out in the cold. Come on.” She led Garrin and Reilyn into the Tavern, and up the stairs to an empty room. The layout was almost identical to Reilyn’s, just slightly smaller. Garrin placed the girl on the bed. Reilyn walked over and tucked her in. He pulled the quilt snugly around her, watching her breathe, hoping she’d wake up before long. 

The three left the room and quietly closed the door behind them. “I’ll check on her in the morning.” Reilyn looked up at the other two. They mumbled in agreement. Reilyn walked Garrin down the stairs and to the door. 

At the door, as Garrin opened it, he turned to Reilyn. “Um...you should get some rest.” He was still avoiding eye contact with the Eyll. Reilyn gave him a soft smile.

“Yeah. You too.” Garrin looked as if he was about to reply, but he closed his mouth, shook his head and closed the door behind himself. Reilyn sighed. 

The Eyll turned to see Linda at the base of the stairs. She approached him with her hands on her hips. “So, is this where you take off your tunic and show me your injuries?” She grinned. 

“Nope.” Reilyn chuckled and crossed his arms. “I didn’t get any.” 

“Prove it.” Linda raised an eyebrow. 

Reilyn shook his head and untied his tunic, setting it aside. He pulled his undershirt off, tossing it with his tunic and exposing his slim toned build. He raised his arms. “No injuries.” Linda smirked, stepped towards him and picked him up. She carried him to the bar counter and set him down. “Whoa- Hey!” Reilyn protested. She ran her hands down his chest and along his arms, the little smirk still resting on her lips.