CLASSICAL MUSLIMAH: 12

Gbazango, Abuja, Nigeria.
Friday, 16th March, 2018.

Nana Asma'u had accepted her fate long ago, she knew nothing she did would stop the marriage. But at that moment, as she sat all decked up awaiting her so called groom, she couldn't help but ask herself whether she was doing the right thing for herself. She knew Nuhu in and out, and she had decided to accept him together with his flaws. No one was perfect, that she knew.

Everyone had their flaws and that was what made them, well, them. It was a part of their personality that could hardly be changed. Asking a person to get rid of their flaws was like asking a bird to live without its feathers, or a dog to stop barking. That was not possible, flaws were a part of the human life and she knew nothing she could do would change that.

Even Abulkhair had his flaws, they were just perfect in Nana Asma'u's eyes, because she loved him. Her thoughts were cut short when the curtain was drawed and her sisters trudged inside wearing matching tangerine lace sewn into prom gowns with illusion neckline and split sleeves. They had subtle makeup on and their head gears were tied into pleated v-style.

"Adda Nana, Yaya Nuhu is here." Nana Asma'u nodded and her two cousins came out and took her out of the room to go see her husband.

Nana Asma'u was wearing an aqua lace sewn into a six piece skirt with a long trail and a blouse with keyhole neckline and raglan sleeves. She looked beautiful. Her make up was done perfectly. It was surprising how Hansatu got the money to pay for one of the best makeup artists and photography crew in Abuja.

Taking a deep breath, Nana Asma'u smiled and walked towards Nuhu. They had their first Halal hug and pictures were taken. After that, Nana Asma'u was conveyed to Nuhu's parents house in Arab road for the budan kai - unveiling of the bride.

Nana Asma'u changed into an atamfa whose background was onyx and had oxblood patterns splattered all over with frost and beige dropped in little quantities in random places inside the oxblood patterns. Her head tie was tied in the infinity pleated bridal style and she had oxblood veil on. Gold jewelries adorned her neck, ears, wrists and fingers. Onyx stilettos clad her henna stained feet. She looked breathtakingly beautiful and also happy, if only people knew.

Nana Asma'u sat on the traditional carpet with her face covered, her cousins and friends surrounded her and the unveiling of the bride started.

Back at Gbazango, Hansatu was surrounded by her step-sisters and brothers. Her mother was sitting at the farthest end of the parlor watching her daughter with keen interest. It was as if she was trying to unravel a secret that was hidden in Hansatu's face.

"You possibly couldn't take her to Maiduguri so we can have a proper Margi wedding. You wanted an Abuja wedding. What did you gain from it? You didn't even tell our mothers their granddaughter was getting married!" Asabe said. She was the oldest and the most temperamental in the family. Her temper tended to cloud her thinking.

"Ya Asabe calm down, maybe she has her reasons." Indo who was the calmest and unfortunately the dumbest said. She was the most gullible and emotional person in the family.

"What excuse would warrant her to deny us a chance to get our daughter married? What excuse, huh? She's always pushing us away. She likes to feel superior, to feel atop everyone else. I wonder what that husband of yours had seen in you." Larabie said and Hansatu rolled her eyes.