▼ Avoidant Personality Disorder ▼

(AVPD) Avoidant Personality Disorder is characterized by extreme discomfort in social situations. The level of discomfort is enough to cause avoidance of social situations and relationships. This motivation does not come from the enjoyment of being alone, rather, it occurs as a result of intense fears of rejection, feelings of inadequacy, and extreme sensitivity to negative criticism.

》According to the DSM5 , common signs of avoidant disorder include:

Easily hurt by criticism or disapproval

 No close friends

Reluctance to become involved with people avoidance of activities or occupations that involve contact with others

Shyness in social situations out of doing something wrong

Exaggeration of potential difficulties

Showing excessive restraint in intimate relationships

Feeling socially inept, inferior, or unappealing to other people

Unwilling to take risks or try new things because they may prove embarrassing

》The cause of avoidant personality disorder is unknown. and environmental factors, such as rejection by a parent or peers, may play a role in the development of the condition.

》The avoidant behavior typically starts in infancy or early with shyness, isolation, and avoidance of strangers or new places. Most people who are shy in their early years tend to grow out of the behavior, but those who develop avoidant personality disorder become increasingly timid as they enter adulthood.

About 2.4 percent of the U.S. population has an avoidant personality disorder, according to the DSM-5. The rates are similar for men and women.

Avoidant personality is classified as a personality disorder in the DSM-5, and it's widely understood that there is no "cure" for personality disorders. But with treatment and therapy, copious research suggests symptoms can be improved, and individuals with avoidant personalities can build healthy, close relationships.

There is no medication approved specifically for the treatment of avoidant personality. However, doctors may prescribe anti-depressants to target co-occurring anxiety or depression. Some research suggests that individuals with AVPD are more likely to be on medication than those with social anxiety but without a personality disorder.