▲ Inner child ▲

》  Our inner child is a part of ourselves that's been present ever since we were conceived, through utero and all the developing years after where we were young and developing into tender selves: baby, infant, toddler, young child and middle school year.

》  The fact is that the majority of so-called adults are not truly adults at all. We all get older. Anyone, with a little luck, can do that. But, psychologically speaking, this is not adulthood. True adulthood hinges on acknowledging, accepting, and taking responsibility for loving and parenting one's own inner child.

》  Your "inner child" is a part of your subconscious that has been picking up messages way before it was able to fully process what was going on (mentally and emotionally). It holds emotions, memories and beliefs from the past as well as hopes and dreams for the future.

》  The inner child can often recall good experiences as well as childhood fears, traumas, neglect or significant loss. It can be hard to pinpoint the exact event that is tugging at us, but we can start to notice our internal patterns that have left us a subconscious "bread crumb trails" when we start to explore our inner world.

Inner child work can help with the following:

discovering and releasing repressed emotions
holding you back

helping you recognise your unmet needs

assisting to resolve unhelpful patterns

offering an opportunity for increased self-care

helping you be creative and playful raising your self-respect.

》Here are just a few ways you can break free from the wounds of your past and heal your inner child:

Speak to yourself kindly

(Take a moment to imagine a younger version of yourself. Then reassure them with phrases like "I'm here for you" ."I love you" "You're safe with me". It might seem a bit silly, but these words of affirmation can bring you a lot of comfort and peace.)

Spend time doing activities you enjoyed as a child

(How many activities have you stopped doing simply because they're "childish" or because "you've grown out of them". How many more have you given up out of embarrassment or because they're "not useful". Now's the time to try them once again.)

Revisit childhood memories

(As you explore past memories, you might discover painful moments. Inner child work is all about trying to tend to these emotional wounds. This might involve sharing them with a loved one, expressing them creatively or chatting about them with your therapist.