▼ INTP - The Thinker ▼

INTP means introverted, intuitive, thinking, and perceiving. People who score as INTP are often described as quiet and analytical. They enjoy spending time alone, thinking about how things work and coming up with solutions to problems.

INTPs have a rich inner world and would rather focus their attention on their internal thoughts rather than the external world. They typically do not have a wide social circle, but they do tend to be close to a select group of people.

The INTP personality type is known as the "Logician" since their thoughts and behaviors are based on logic. There are two subtypes of INTPs: INTP-A and INTP-T:

INTP-A: Known as the "Assertive Logician," this subtype tends to be more comfortable with themselves and more confident than an INTP-T. They are also more satisfied with where they are in life.

INTP-T: This subtype is referred to as the "Turbulent Logician" and, when compared to an INTP-A, feels less comfort both personally and in terms of their current life. They also tend to be slightly less confident.Is INTP a Rare Personality Type?

According to psychologist David Keirsey, creator of the Keirsey Temperament Sorter, approximately 1% to 5% of people have an INTP personality type.

Key characteristics:

INTPs are quiet, reserved, and thoughtful. As , they prefer to socialize with a small group of close friends with whom they share common interests and connections.

An INTP enjoys thinking about theoretical concepts and tends to value intellect over emotion. They are logical and base decisions on objective information rather than subjective feelings.

When analyzing data an INTP is highly logical and objective.

INTPs tend to be flexible and good at thinking "outside of the box."

People with the INTP personality type think about the big picture rather than focusing on every tiny detail.

INTPs like to keep their options open and feel limited by structure and planning.

Strengths

Logical and objective

Abstract thinker

Independent

Loyal and affectionate with loved ones

Weaknesses

Difficult to get to know

Can be insensitive

Prone to self-doubt

Struggles to follow rules

Has trouble expressing feelings

INTP Cognitive Functions

Dominant: Introverted Thinking

This function focuses on how people take in information about the world. INTPs express introverted thinking by trying to understand how things work.

They often like to break down larger things or ideas to look at the individual components to see how things fit and function together.

INTPs tend to be highly logical and efficient thinkers. They like to have a complete understanding of something before they are willing to share an opinion or take action.

Auxiliary: Extraverted Intuition

INTPs express this cognitive function by exploring what-ifs and possibilities.

They utilize insight, imagination, and past experiences to form ideas. INTPs often go over what they know, seeking patterns until they can achieve a flash of inspiration or insight into a problem. They tend to spend a great deal of time  and imagining all the possibilities.

Tertiary: Introverted Sensing

INTPs tend to be very detail-oriented, carefully categorizing all of the many facts and experiences they take in. As they collect new information, INTPs compare and contrast it with what they already know in order to make predictions about what they believe will happen next.

Inferior: Extraverted Feeling

INTPs tend to seek harmony in groups. While they are introverted, INTPs can be quite outgoing when they are around people with whom they are familiar and comfortable.

IINTPs shut down their feelings and struggle to connect with others. Under stress, they tend to rely on logic rather than feelings.

INTPs You Might Know:

Albert Einstein
Meryl Streep
Charles Darwin
Ashley Olson
Socrates
Sherlock Holmes
Hulk (Marvel)
Yoda (Star Wars)
Velma Dinkley (Scooby Doo)
Hiccup (How To Train Your Dragon)

Popular INTP Careers

Chemist

Physicist

Computer programmer

Forensic scientist

Engineer

Mathematician

Pharmacist

Software developer

Geologist