▲ Schizotypal Personality Disorder ▲

》  People with schizotypal personality disorder are often described as odd or eccentric and usually have few, if any, close relationships. They generally don't understand how relationships form or the impact of their behavior on others. They may also misinterpret others' motivations and behaviors and develop a significant distrust of others.

》Schizotypal personality disorder typically includes five or more of these signs and symptoms:

Being a loner and lacking close friends outside of the immediate familyFlat emotions or limited or inappropriate emotional responsesPersistent and excessive social anxietyIncorrect interpretation of events, such as a feeling that something that is actually harmless or inoffensive has a direct personal meaningPeculiar, eccentric or unusual thinking, beliefs or mannerismsSuspicious or paranoid thoughts and constant doubts about the loyalty of othersBelief in special powers, such as mental telepathy or superstitionsUnusual perceptions, such as sensing an absent person's presence or having illusionsDressing in peculiar ways, such as appearing unkempt or wearing oddly matched clothesThe peculiar style of speech, such as vague or unusual patterns of speaking, or rambling oddly during conversations

Schizotypal personality disorder can easily be confused with schizophrenia, a severe mental illness in which people lose contact with reality (psychosis). While people with schizotypal personality disorder may experience brief psychotic episodes with delusions or hallucinations, the episodes are not as frequent, prolonged, or intense as in schizophrenia.

People with schizotypal personality disorder are uncomfortable with close relationships and may exhibit eccentric behavior. Speech may include digressions, odd use of words, or evidence of magical thinking, such as a belief in and bizarre. Patients usually experience distorted thinking and avoid it.

》As with most personality disorders, the cause of schizotypal personality disorder is unknown, but there is an increased incidence among relatives of those with the condition, as well as those whose relatives are on the schizophrenia spectrum. The prenatal risk factors that apply to schizophrenia are also relevant to schizotypal personality disorder, including maternal exposure to certain viruses.

About 4 percent of the American population suffers from a schizotypal personality disorder. It is also somewhat more prevalent in men than women. Schizotypal personality disorder represents approximately 1 to 2 percent of all personality disorders diagnosed, according to a large Norwegian study. 

Schizotypal patients rarely initiate treatment for their disorder, tending to seek relief from depressive problems instead. Some people may be helped by antipsychotic medications, but therapy is preferable for most individuals.