Maniacal laughter

The next morning I had an early shift

The next morning I had an early shift. I'd barely worked the whole time Billie had been here, and unfortunately my savings didn't cover the whole month off.

"How's you and Billie love?" Jules asked as she made the pair of us a coffee. "We're so good."

Jules sent me a motherly smile, "I'd love to have you both over before she goes, if you have time of course. Nothing major, a few board games and some dinner?"

"Duh, she has to experience family game night." Jules laughed at my comment, she knows I love nights like that. "Definitely not, it's a must!"

I placed myself on a bar stool and took a sip of my drink. The cafe was quiet which is mine and Jules favourite time, it means we can have a coffee and catch up. "Tom didn't come by yesterday, his visits are becoming less regular." Jules informed as she too took a gulp of coffee.

"Yeah, I'm wondering whether it's because I'm not here - not that I'm the only reason he comes, but you know." I rambled on.

Jules nodded in agreement, "I think you're right. I go over and have a chat with him when he comes in, but I'm not you."

A sudden wave of guilt flushed over me. Tom is all out of sorts and I'm so wrapped up in my own little bubble of happiness that I didn't even notice it. "Shit Jules, I feel awful."

She shook her head, "darling Tom understands that Billie is here. He'd never expect you to miss time with her."

I sent Jules a thankful nod, "I know he gets it, he's too selfless of a man not to. Have I iced him out though?"

She shook her head again, "Reese stop spiralling. Tom will be ok, maybe just invite him over for lunch or something."

"Yeah, I will. Hey, has Josh mentioned anything about Ria? She's acting a little weird." Jules' eyes widened, "he did actually, he said she cancelled their plans last night, she was all freaked out."

What a great person you are Reese. Tom and Ria both need you and you haven't been there. Just great.

"Oh I didn't realise it was that bad. She never cancels plans!" My brain began working overtime as I tried to think up reasons for Ria being strange.

Jules shrugged her shoulders, "I was going to pop over but Josh said it's a bad idea. I do worry about her."

I silently agreed with Josh. Ria is a very closed off person, she doesn't even open up to Josh. When she's upset she tells him she doesn't want company, but that's about it. "I'm going over tonight, I'll keep you updated."

The remainder of the shift flew by, I had to rush out but Jules understood why since I'd told her about Ria earlier.

"Baba?" I said in a questioning tone as I unlocked her front door. As soon as you walk in you see a set of stairs, to the right of you is a door that leads to her lounge. That door was open, and through it I could see my best friend sleeping peacefully on the sofa.