24: Do You Believe in Eternal Happiness?

"You can't do that L, they're kids!"

"I'm aware of that Y/n but unless you have a better idea we're going with this one."

The girl rolled her eyes, "What if Light kills them too? Are you willing to plan three 16 year olds funeral? "

"We need the extra hands, its been almost 2 years since my death. There could be more books, Light could have involved more people, we can't do it alone."

"My name is in that book, that is all the proof we need!"

"How do you propose we get the book then? As much as you don't think about the more complex situations we cannot retrieve it by asking him kindly." L sighed, looking at the angered girl,

"They signed up for this when they joined the successor program y/n, besides I won't let anything happen to them."

"You better because if Near, Matt and Mello don't make it out alive I'll kill you myself."

Y/n walked out slamming the door shut, brushing back her hair in deep frustration. Heading to the back of the institution to calm herself for a while.

Walking, the smell of cigarette smoke filled the air. Y/n furrowed her eyebrows, following the smell.

It was odd considering it was an orphanage, they weren't much adults and none of them smoked.

She rolled her eyes seeing Matt leaning against the back wall, taking a puff from the cigarette between his lips.

Y/n screamed, causing the boy to scramble off the wall and look around him frantically then he met her e/c eyes.

"What the actual fuck Y/n."

Y/n laughed as he calmed down and resumed to his position, he took another long drag, blowing it away from her. The smoke still etched towards her as she neared closer

"This shit's bad for you." She snagged the cigarette from his lips and took a drag herself, holding it with her thumb and pointer, allowing the intoxicating pull in her lungs and right back out just as fast.

He laughed, "You're a hypocrite."

"It keeps me up at night."

Y/n took another puff before handing it to the boy beside her, he took one as well, the smoke trailing out through his nose.

"What's on your mind?"

She sighed, leaning her head back against the cold concrete wall.

"L wants you three on the case."

"About time."

He passed the cigarette to Y/n, she accepted whilst looking at him confusingly.

"About time?" She repeated.

"I mean if we work together we can catch him. Its Kira against four geniuses." Matt reassured, "plus Mello."

Y/n laughed, " I don't know what I'd do if something were to happen to any of you."

Matt nudged her, taking the cigarette she passed back, "We'll be fine, you think we don't feel the same way about you?"

He did make a point.

She was so worried about protecting everyone around her she forgot she also meant something to other people.

"I swear I'll strangle Light when we catch him." Y/n groaned making Matt laugh.

"Violent are we?" He flicked the cigarette to the floor and stomped on it, twisting the ball of his feet slightly on it, " It's always the small ones. "