38: Leave No Stone Unturned. They're Gonna Get You

The detective stopped at his destination.

The outside of the club was bare as everyone was inside. The blue and purple lights on the club's sign flicker on L's face as he approached it.

Cars lined the side of the road, all locked because face it, its all parked in front of a night club.

The faint sound of music was heard from the outside.

On the wall beside the club, a male stood leaning back on it, nursing a cigarette between his lips.

Approaching there, L trudge to the male.

He laughed as he took a long drag of his cigarette.

"Where's Mello?"

"What? Is my presence not good enough?" Matt laughed as he slapped a hand over his chest, "Not cool, L man."

Matt noticed the areas under his eyes were darker than he'd ever seen. He was slouchier and more robotic than usual.

"Did Y/n give up on telling you when to go to bed? You look terrible."

"I'm here, I'm here," the blonde announced as he walked towards the two, "What's with the meeting, L? You taking us on a field trip?"

Tired of their childish behavior, L spoke instantly, "Y/n's been taken." he said bluntly.

Mello's eyebrows immediately shot up, "Come again?"

"She was kidnapped when I was in Japan."

"L." Matt called before he inhaled sharply, "That was almost a fucking month ago!"

"I'm well aware."

"Say no more, we're on it." Mello said, "Whoever took her will fucking pay."

"I may have a suspect." L said as he turned to face Matt who was lost in thought, "His name is Will Perkins. I need you to find out everything on him."

"Follow me." Matt walked into the club, heading straight to the back, Mello trailing behind.

In the back room there were a couple couches that had men and women that were either talking or making out.

Mello took out his pistol from his boot and shot the ceiling, "Everyone out! "

Everyone scrammed out leaving the three. Matt went for a laptop and sat down.

Within a matter of minutes the brunet clapped, "Bingo." he smiled, "Will Perkins. Age 25. Hasn't renewed his license or ID since he was 17. He's been arrested for minor crimes like possession of illegal substances, drinking while driving, almost killing a man in a bar fight-all at the age of 19."

" Anthony Lector. He has bailed Will out of holding every time." Matt continued.

"Partner in crime, huh?" Mello scoffed.

L demanded, "I want property owners, recently purchased land and apartments. One's with basements."

"On it."

L paced up and down while Matt worked his magic on the laptop. After a couple of minutes the desired information he was searching for presented itself on the screen.

"There's 58 recently purchased houses in Winchester." Matt said.

Mello took off his leather jacket and draped it over the back of the couch. The blonde peered over his friends shoulder to see the screen also, "What makes you think they're in Winchester?"

L crouched on the sofa next to Matt before speaking, "They left her car on the outskirts of Winchester. I doubt from there he walked to where ever he intended to keep her. A car was recently purchased under Anthony Lector's name and last spotted in somewhere around here."

L placed his thumb on his lip before he continued, "At first it didn't make sense nor it would work hand in hand but now it does because we now know who Anthony is to Will."

"So there's a chance this is a team effort." Mello said whilst popping the empty clip from his gun to replace it with a new one, "Matt, what about family members?"

"Umm." he trailed off as the clicking of the keyboard keys filled the silence. Matt poked his tongue out slightly as he squinted his eyes in concentration, "Parents are in America but phone records doesn't show contact between the two. Uncle's in jail and he has an aunt in Paris. Communication between those two stopped days before Y/n was taken."

"Get his address and his friend's." L demanded, "The addresses of the 58 houses too."

"Rod!" Mello yelled, "Get in here!"

Immediately a huge, bald buff guy who looked like he worked out every second of the day. He had tattoos scattered across his body.

"You called for me, Mello?"

"There are 58 address I need you and the rest to scope out." Mello instructed as he pulled a picture from his back pocket. It was Christmas time when the picture was taken and Matt was on Santa's lap, Y/n was laughing beside them and Mello was his usual grumpy looking self, "If you see this girl or those 2 idiots." he pointed to the screen where it hand Will and Anthony displayed, "Contact me and don't let the 2 guys out of your sight."

"But Mel-"

Mello reached for his gun he rested on the couch earlier and cocked it, "Are we going to have a problem?"

Big Rod shook his head and went on his way to start the search.

"Who was that guy?" L asked

"Leader of the mafia." Matt blurted which caused Mello to tap his head.

"L's law enforcement idiot."

"What?" Matt chuckled, "L's not gonna snitch. Are ya, L man?"

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you for Y/n's sake." L sighed, running a hand down the length of his face, "If she found out she'll kill you."

Mello scoffed before sitting on the coffee table opposite Matt and L, "And knowing you, you'd allow her."

"Can't have my girlfriend in a cell now, plus I'm always on her side."

"Man." Matt groaned, "I hope there's a girl out there just like you L because I'd want her."

Mello tapped him on his head again, "Stupidity leak."

"What? It's just that only if there was a girl out there that was like-" Matt stopped himself when L's phone rang.

"Thank God." The blonde groaned.

Upon answering, the detective placed the phone by his ear.

"Yes?" L answered.

"Who answers the phone like that?" Matt whispered to Mello.

"Hey L." the male voice spoke, "Giovanni here."

"The bureau just got a call, possible domestic violence. The neighbour called about yelling between two males, a pretty heated heated argument on 9th Creperlia Avenue." Giovanni informed, "Should I take it or...?"

"9th Creperlia Avenue?" L repeated, "9th Creperlia Avenue."

L took the laptop off Matt's lap and began scrolling. Once he found what he was looking for he responded, "No I got it. Thank you."

With that he hung up.

"There was an argument between two males at this address." He pointed at the laptop screen, showing the two boys, "Which corresponds to one of the addresses in the 58 listed here."

Mello got up, heading to the back of the room, pulling out extra clips and threw one to Matt in which he caught, "Let's get a move on"

L removed his handheld transceiver from the waistband of his jeans, "I need officers on standby on 9th Creperlia Avenue."

Officers responded and in satisfaction he clipped it back on his jeans

"Wouldn't we need a-"

"Warrant?" L asked Matt, he dove into his front pocket and pulled out a piece of folded up paper, "Got it."