Chapter 61: Bloody Night

The door opens to the car, revealing a black guy with a staff. Aaron and I fight with him, getting through the crowd of walkers and escaping to the gate. Aaron closes it once we're all through, and I shoot one more walker.

We back away from the chain link, my heart rate slowing down. We look to the man who just saved our asses. He watches us closely, wiping the blood off his staff.

"That was...that..." Aaron pants. "Thank you." He point between us. "I'm Aaron, this is Daryl."

"Morgan," he replies, smiling the tiniest bit.

"Why?" I ask.

He looks to me, still smiling lightly. "Why? Because all life is precious, Daryl."

We stare at each other. Something about him seems familiar, like a faint memory. I can't put my finger on it though.

"Whoever set that trap, they're coming," Aaron stammers. "But I have good news. We do. We have a community not too far from here. Walls, electricity, it's safe. If you'd like to come join us-"

"I thank you," Morgan interrupts. "But I'm on my way somewhere. Fact is, I'm lost, so if you could tell me where we are."

He hands me a map, and I take it. I unfold it a little, seeing a note scrawled across it that makes my mind spark.

Sorry, I was an asshole.
Come to Washington.
The new world's gonna need Rick Grimes.

I look up at him, then down at the map again.

This guy...the guy that Rick mentioned all but once. Rick owed a debt to a man and his little boy, that's why he needed the walkie talkie in the gun bag back in Atlanta. This is the guy, I know it. I've got a feeling.

"Small world," I grumble, quiet enough they can't hear.

Hope's POV

"Hope? Are you coming?" Elliot asks softly.

I shut my eyes, pressing my hand to my forehead. Lightning lays on the rug, and she lifts her furry black head when I move.

"I don't want to go," I whisper.

"Why not? They need your input."

"Daryl and Aaron have been gone for three days. I'm worried sick and stressed beyond relief," I say. "What good would it do for me to enter a debate about one of my group member's actions?"

Elliot purses his lips. "Well, how about we go and catch the end of the debate? You don't have to join in, but I think you should be there for Rick."

I take a deep breath. He's right.

"Ok. I'll go."

He places a hand on my shoulder. "I'm doing this because you're my friend, Hope. You realize that?"

I smile at the thought of him being my friend. "Yeah. Thanks Eli."

He smirks and nudges my arm with his elbow. "No problem, Hopey."

I groan. "I hate that nickname."

"Exactly." He laughs. "Now come on."

We head out of my house, Lightning following at our heels. She sniffs the ground, weaving on the path in front of us while we head for the council area. The night air is refreshing and cool, the soft glow of the debate circle fire leading us.

"And after being out there, and then not being how you were out there...it can drive you crazy," Michonne says as we walk in.

We take our seats near Eugene as Lightning curls up under Elliot's chair. I smile at him gently, and he returns it. To my surprise, neither Rick or Glenn have made an appearance tonight.