Chapter 28: Fate Works in Mysterious Ways

Then

"Hope, please be careful," my mom warns.

I giggle as I watch the cows grazing. I'm six years old and ready to explore, look, smell, and feel everything. It's not everyday my family gets to get away.

Georgia looks especially beautiful today. The sun is shining and only a few clouds dot the clear blue sky. I climb off the fence and dash after my parents. My hair is pulled back in two braids and I'm wearing a light pink shirt and a pair of jeans.

"How are you enjoying the trip, Hope?" my dad asks, smiling at me.

"It's amazing, daddy!" I squeal.

I kick a few pebbles on the dusty road as my parents discuss the next plan of action. My parents planned this trip a while ago, and it's been amazing so far. We took a plane to Kentucky, then we drove through Tennessee. We're finishing up our trip here in Georgia before flying home.

I love it around here. I want to live here when I'm older.

Right now, we're in a small town in the Georgian countryside. It's a cute little place and all the people have funny accents.

"Hope! Come on! We've got to get back to the car," my mom calls.

"Ok mommy!"

I laugh and skip after them, pulling ahead as we walk back to where we parked our rental car. Suddenly, a fire truck races past, the sirens wailing. I cover my ears, scrunching my eyes shut.

"Oh dear, I wonder what's happening..." my mom says.

"Can we see? Please?" I beg, putting on my best cute face.

"It looks like it's heading the way we are. We may see it anyways," my dad says. He pinches my cheek. "You don't want to see a fire," he teases.

"Yes I do!" I insist.

"Fine, lets go."

I skip ahead, my parents trailing behind me. I can see people gathering in the distance near a shabby looking house. Fire rages from it and the fire engine is parked nearby.

I break into a swift jog towards the house, my curiosity growing every moment.

"Not too close!" my mom calls.

I stop on the sidewalk near the other waiting people. I notice some boys on bikes watching the fire; about six in total. One of the boys stands in front of the group, standing silent as tears run down his face. He looks way older than me; maybe nine or ten.

I look back at my parents, who are near me but asking one of the locals about the cause of the fire. I move towards the group of boys.

"Hey, what're you doin' here?" one of the boys asks, noticing me.

"Why is that house on fire?" I ask, pointing.

The boys look at each other, shrugging.

"We dunno," a second boy says.

"He's crying..." I point to the boy in front of them.

"Yeah, it's his house."

My eyes widen, and I look to the boy again. He's pretty thin and his clothes are tattered and dirty. Shaggy blonde-brown hair covers his head, but I can't see his face. I feel terribly bad for him.

"You ain't from around here, are ya?" Boy number three asks, squinting.

"I'm from Canada!" I say proudly.

A few of them laugh. "How old are ya?"

"I turned six in May." I grin. They smirk.

I look to the crying boy. He needs a friend right now. Maybe I could help him.

"Hope? Hope?" I hear my mom calling me.

"You better go. Your momma's callin'," the first boy says.

"Tell him I'm sorry about his house," I say, pointing to the strange boy before dashing away.

"Hope! Were you talking to those boys?" my mom asks worriedly.

"I wanted to know about the house..." I say quietly. "One of those boys lives there."

"Don't leave our side next time, ok?" my dad commands sternly, and I nod.

"Come on sweetie." My mom grabs my hand and starts to lead me away.

I look back at the group of boys one more time. The boy who was crying is looking at me, his sparkling blue eyes fixated on me. I look away and keep following behind my parents.