Chapter 8: Atlantan Days

Then

"Here's your key. Welcome home," my landlord says, handing me the key and leaving.

I take a deep breath and head to the bedroom, placing my suitcase on the bed. I got lucky. The apartment I got came with a couch, tv, table, and bed, plus the appliances. I had already moved all my other belongings inside, which wasn't much actually.

I quickly sort all my clothes into the small built in closet.

Once that's done, I head to the living room, and I stand there, looking around.

The tv is a decent size, a small flatscreen. The two seater couch sits in front of it on the hardwood floors, and the open space leads immediately into the kitchen. Granite countertops, a few cabinets, a stove, fridge, and microwave. It's nice. Much nicer than I would've been able to get without my mom's parting gift.

I pull my hair up into a ponytail and go to the stack of boxes near the front entry. I grab the one labeled "Kitchen" and set it on the counter. I open it, unloading my toaster, blender, and utensils.

I finish, tossing the box to the side for recycling, and grab another box.

Inside is my Xbox and controllers, plus a few games. It's probably one of the most expensive things I own, and I set it up swiftly. I long to play it, but after I'm done unpacking I have to go job hunting.

After what feels like hours, I have sheets on the bed, chairs at the table, toiletries in the bathroom, and all that. Everything is arranged nicely.

I don't have any food. I'll find a grocery store nearby.

"I guess I could use some new clothes too..." I think out loud. "New life, new clothes."

I grab my purse and keys, plus my wallet. I don't have a car yet, which means I'm walking.

I head outside, and I look around at the bustling city of Atlanta. Cars and taxis rush by on the street, and people walk along the sidewalks, smiling, laughing, or straight-faced. There's a department store a little ways away, and I start towards it, hoping for some clothes.

As I go inside the store, a "HELP WANTED" sign catches my eye.

I start looking through some clothes near the front of the store. I pick out a few shirts and some jeans, checking the tags as I go.

A woman and a noisy child walk by. The little boy screams, and he knocks over a rack of shirts.

The woman looks exasperated and tries to calm him down, and I pick up the rack.

"Don't worry. I've got this," I say. "You can deal with him."

The woman nods appreciatively and picks up her kid, carrying him away.

I rearrange the shirts, then pick up my clothes, heading to the change rooms.

A man stands in front of a mirror near the rooms, turning around and examining the jacket he's wearing.

"That looks nice on you," I comment.

The man turns, a surprised look on his face.

"My wife said I needed a new one, but I don't have a clue what is good or not." He sighs.

I smile. "Does she want formal or casual?"

"Casual...I guess."

"Try that one in brown," I say. "Grey isn't your colour."

"Thanks!"

The man grabs a brown one and I head into the change room.

The clothes I decide to buy work nicely, and I head to the checkout. I purchase the clothes and head to the door.

"Excuse me, miss?"

A man wearing a suit jacket and tie stands in front of a door.

"Me?" I ask, pointing to my chest.

"Yes you," he says.

I walk over to him, and he smiles pleasantly.

"I wanted to thank you for the help today."

I give him a confused look. "Help?"

"A man with a brown jacket and a woman with a small child said I should give my worker a raise. They said you were a big help." He smirks.

"Oh, that..." I say. "I was just trying to be helpful."

"Do you have a job?" he asks.

"Not at the moment."

"How about you send in a résumé?" he suggests. "We need some help."

"Sure." I smile.

He holds out his hand to me, and I grasp it, shaking it firmly.

"Mr. Stevens. I'm the manager here," he says.

"Hope Starling."

Now

We continue following the screams, and I see who's causing them.

A man is trapped on a large rock, and walkers surround him, grabbing at his feet. We rush in and kill them swiftly.

The man looks down at us as we look up at him, and he slides off the rock. He's wearing a black robe and a white collar. I know right away that he's a pastor.

"You alright?" Rick asks.

The man chokes and empties his stomach out onto the ground. We wait until he's done, and he looks up at us.

"Sorry," he says. "Uh, thank you. I'm Gabriel."