ⅩⅦ

The king was stood at the head of the table with Edwin by his side as they looked over a map of their kingdom and neighboring ones.

Stood further behind them was Victor, who had been listening to what they said intently, occasionally glancing to where Clara stood with Julian, both as concentrated.

"We'll be advancing from this point, since Crounia will come from here." Edwin explained, pointing at the respective areas. "However, there is a chance that Cupia would join them from this side, and that would make things harder, but still manageable."

He called Clara over so that she explains the strategy she had come up with not so long ago.

"They have more men than us, so we'll need to intimidate them with an illusion." she explained. "We could have the army from Elvaria positioned around these hills, and some hidden in the forest here; that way we could surround them wherever they come from, and we'd trick them into thinking we have more people and backup."

The king nodded, lost in thought as he analyzed her plan.

"And we could have the archers hidden around these higher areas, so they could fire at them early on."

"Victor, what do you think?" his eyes widen at his father's question, and he steps closer to the table to look at the map.

"This would keep them away from Avelyn," he nodded, sparing a glance at Clara. "I think it's a wise choice.

"I agree." king Harry said, smiling at Clara to which she returned politely, blushing when Julian lightly nudged her hand with his, biting his cheek to keep away his proud smile.

The group continued to plan strategies and theorize as to what the opposing armies' strategy would be, so that they would have a plan for whatever situation that they would come across. 

The sun had begun to set, leaving a golden hue in the room, reflecting off the marbled grounds and statues.

Suddenly the doors opened and in walked a knight wearing the crest of Crounia; a combination of green and yellow covered the chainmail he wore.

Instantly, the three knights of Avelyn unsheathed their swords, pointing it at the intruder cautiously. Edwin had stepped in front of the king, just as Clara had done with Victor, and Julian stood close to Clara, ready to protect her if needed but still leaving room for her to be able to do her own thing.

The unnamed knight didn't take off his helmet, nor did he halt in his steps which prompted Clara to step closer and grip her sword tighter, prepared for the worst. He pulled out an envelope and threw it on the ground then left without another word.

The silence was deafening.

Edwin was the first to move towards the envelope as the rest put their weapons back into their leather sheathes. He pulled it up and cautiously opened it with his dagger, emptying the contents on the table.

A lock of hair and six orange pits.

By now the sun had completely set, and clouds covered the moonless night sky. Fear plunged itself into the hearts of those who had seen the contents of the envelope. The air felt heavy, and the torches weren't enough light to make the room brighter.

There was no more denying it.

"They announced war on us." the king spoke, his voice close to trembling. "We have six days."