ⅩⅩⅩⅢ

The king expected anything but the very thing he arrived to once his travelling party returned to Avelyn. Instead of being met with cheers and music like usual, he was met with angry people, glaring and shouting at him as his chariot made its way through the town.

Knights had to keep their guard up as some people even tried to get closer to the king.

Julian furrowed his eyebrows as he heard what the people were shouting about, and it only made his heart grow heavier.

He couldn't bear the thought of being the reason Clara's heart broke, but alas life was cruel sometimes. Though he assumed her heart to already be broken at the hand of the people she spent her entire life protecting and helping, he feared the news he brought her would only break her further.

But an idea made its way into his head as he gazed at the angry crowd of people.

"What is the meaning of this?" The king grumbled as soon as he walked into the castle to be met by his son, who stiffened up at his tone

"The people, they're...they don't want Clara as general."

"I've noticed." He pointed a glare at him. "What caused it?"

"Uncle Rowan."

Harry froze, staring at his son with an intensity Victor could only remember one other person bearing it; and she hated him now.

"Explain, boy." Victor's heartbeat began to speed up, growing nervous around his father.

"He...He was the one that fanned the flames." Victor explained, recalling what he'd seen. "I just heard a ruckus outside and when I got there I saw a mob of people holding onto Clara as they demanded that she no longer be general. They were angry, father. They blamed the death of their sons on her..."

"So it wasn't Rowan?" His father's eyes narrowed at him.

"No- he was!" Victor stumbled on his words. "I calmed the people down but- Rowan he- He was supposed to help but he started telling them how they had to fight for what they believe in and not give up...that this is their kingdom-"

"Do you have proof?" Harry sighed.

"Are my words not enough?" He asked, taken aback by the lack of trust, Clara's words from the previous day ringing in his ears.

"You're accusing Rowan of treason, this is not a matter to be dealt with lightly."

"Ask anyone!" Victor's voice raised, disbelief and anger mixing into his tone. "Since you don't trust me enough, ask your precious general or even the people. Some of her knights were present as well."

Not letting him say anything else, victor left the room, shaking his head. He did not stop nor glance back as his father called his name.

Harry sighed and ran a hand down his face. He wanted to rest after a long journey home, but that seemed too far out of reach. He never expected that announcing Clara as general would cause a rebellion.