ⅩⅩⅧ

"This is death."

"Get up; we don't have time for your death."

"Never thought I'd hear that sentence."

"This is still your first week of training and you've claimed to have died at least twenty five times, Vic."

"It's hard!"

"You know what's harder?" Clara raised an eyebrow at the prince who was sprawled on the ground for the thousandth time. "My fist. Now get up and finish those lunges!"

With a fake cry, Victor got up and continued to do lunges. His muscles burned like fire was running through every fiber of his being. The slight breeze was cold against his sweaty face, making shivers go down his spine. 

He glanced at Clara, who was now sat on a bench a few steps away from him. She was tinkering with a long cuff bracelet. He couldn't understand exactly what it was she was doing to it, all he knew was that she was working on new weapons and had yet to get them right.

"Any updates on the bandits?" He asked.

Clara stopped what she was doing, looking up at the prince. Her eyes were glazed and her jaw was clenched. 

"I have a few theories." She answered with a small nod as she put away her tools. "There's a chance Rowan has turned some of my knights against me; he could be planning a coup."

"But why would he attack his own kingdom?" He furrowed his eyebrows, standing straight.

"Don't stop the exercise." She reminded him. "But to answer your question; it could be because he wants it to be his kingdom."

"I can't believe that bastard." He grumbled, doing lunges just like he was instructed. "What are we going to do?"

"For starters," Clara stood up and walked over to him, slightly fixing his posture so he wouldn't hurt himself. Victor pushed down his thoughts. "I'll be investigating him secretly, as well as my knights."

"What can I do to help?"

"I don't think there's much-" She cut herself off as an idea formed in her head. "Actually...there might be something you can do. Training is done for today, go back and get ready for the day, I'll come find you."

Clara quickly walked over to the bench and gathered her things before she turned to him one last time.

"Tell no one what we know; we can't let Rowan know we suspect him."

With that, the brunette left. Victor watched her retreating figure for a moment longer than he wanted to and then made his own way to the castle, now wrapped in his dark cloak to not get recognized.

 Victor watched her retreating figure for a moment longer than he wanted to and then made his own way to the castle, now wrapped in his dark cloak to not get recognized

"Edith, stop!" The middle aged man yelled in frustration. "You know she's not capable of protecting us!"

"How can you say that?" She argued, her voice rising. "We know her, Stefan! Clara is strong; stronger than any of us ever will be!"