ⅩⅫ

A painful wave of nostalgia hit Clara as soon as she stepped onto the training field Edwin had made near her home. It felt wrong to be there without him; to train without having to report back to him.

With each swish and turn, a wound reopened in her heart as more memories flooded her mind. Discarding her sword for a while, Clara began to punch the dummy in front of her, getting more angry with each hit; images of Phillip flashed before her eyes.

The practice dummy exploded with a particularly hard hit, and that was enough for Clara to step back and take a breath to calm her mind. She stared at the remains with pure rage on her mind. She wanted to do that and more to Phillip.

Every morning she woke up, she wished it was all a nightmare, that he would be there to train them once more.

But he wasn't.

And it's all my fault.

Now it was her turn to train the knights. Clara turned and left the hill with a heavy heart, going back to her home to wake up Lila and drop her off at her school before she went to the castle training field to officially start her new role as general.

 Clara turned and left the hill with a heavy heart, going back to her home to wake up Lila and drop her off at her school before she went to the castle training field to officially start her new role as general

"Everything alright?" Julian stepped towards Clara as she entered the field, seeing all the knights already gathered. 

"Yeah, Lila was fussing a bit." she reassured with a smile before turning to the rest of the knights. "Sorry I'm late, everyone. I was held up."

Most of the knights shrugged nonchalantly since she'd only been a few minutes late, and they used the time to warm up after a long well deserved break. On the other hand, some knights glared at her and mumbled among themselves.

Alan found himself glaring at the same knight from the ceremony, seeing him scowl in response to their general's apology.

"Let's start with some laps, shall we?" she clapped her hands and began to run backwards before turning so she doesn't fall down. Everyone else followed her lead, gaining speed as their muscles burned with the effort. 

"She really thinks she can boss us around, tsk." the knight scoffed, his friends agreeing with him. "She can't even control her sister."

"One threat and Avelyn would cease to exist with her in charge." another said.

"She's pathetic."

"Yet she's the one who came up with the strategy that won us the war." Julian ran next to them, easily keeping a steady pace. "And she doesn't waste her time gossiping behind people's backs. I suggest you show some respect to your general before you regret it."

"Oh, please." he argued. "You're only saying this because you're with her."

"Yeah, we all know she's not that great of a knight."

"Are you blind?" Alan joined in. "She beat us all single handedly in her knight's test."

"I'm afraid I missed the parade." he sneered. "Was too busy actually guarding the castle from threat."