Meet Gran

A little after seven, they heard Gran moving around downstairs. Sam sat up, gave Ana a quick squeeze, and climbed to his feet. Ana stood up and helped Sam gather his bedding. When he left she shut her door and got ready for her day. She'd showered before bed so she went to her dresser to find clean clothes. Once she was dressed and her hair was brushed, she hurried downstairs to eat before school. She knew Gran would want to see the video from her parents, even though she was sure Gran had received her own message.

Gran kissed her cheek and gestured for Ana to sit down. Gran placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of her. "Good morning, sweetie. Did you and Sammy get a message from your parents?"

Ana nodded and handed Gran her phone. Gran sat across from her and watched the video. Her eyes twinkled with tears as she watched her daughter and son-in-law tell their kids how much they loved them. While the video was playing, Sam came down the stairs. He scooped his own oatmeal from the pot on the stove and took the chair next to Gran. He watched the end of his parents' video with her. When the video finished Gran was grinning and her eyes were watery. She hugged Sam and then moved from her chair to Ana's side of the table to hug her as well.

"What if we go camping this weekend?" Gran asked. She still had her arm around Ana and looked from her to Sam. "We could go to Wolf Lake."

"That would be fun," Ana replied. She knew that Gran knew that Ana had been particularly down about her parents' absence lately and she appreciated the effort Gran was making to cheer her. Ana loved Wolf Lake. It always reminded her of somewhere out of a fairytale. Ana looked at Sam.

Sam shrugged. "I have practice tomorrow after school but we could go after that."

Gran smiled. "Perfect! It's settled. Why don't you two pack when you get home today and then we can leave after Sam's football practice?" Sam and Ana both nodded. Gran patted Ana's shoulder and took their bowls to the sink. "I'll take care of the dishes, you two go and finish getting ready." They both thanked her and headed back upstairs to get ready for school.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vote and tell me about your special gran.  Mine died a few years ago and she was a great example of unfailing love.  She always loved me and supported me.  I miss her soft, cool hands the most.  She didn't like that they had gotten old and thin but to me they were beautiful.