A Date

This is my first date, Ana thought as Josh led her back to the rides. Her stomach swooped. She had "dated" a couple of boys at school. In that, they had called each other "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" and held hands between classes. She and Wyatt had even made out a few times behind the cage that used to hold lockers in the 90s but now held whatever the custodian couldn't find another place for. She had never actually gone out on a date with either of them, though. She'd never had a "boyfriend" when there was a school dance and since none of them could drive there weren't many places they could go.

But now, here she was, with Josh. He was cute and he really liked her. He hadn't stopped grinning since she had emerged from the restroom and Danielle had gone back to the hotel. Ana wondered if her face was flushed.

"What do you want to ride first?" Josh asked her.

Ana looked down the line of rides. She pointed to a colorful boat shape. "I really like the big swinging boat. Do you?"

Josh nodded and started toward the ride she had indicated. "I remember when I first rode it I thought it would be really weak but then I tried it. I love the kind of Zero-G feeling at the top."

Ana and Josh stood facing each other in the queue. A breeze flipped a strand of her hair across her face and Josh caught it and tucked it behind her ear. His smile was warm. Ana felt herself blush.

When it was their turn to board, they moved to the back of the boat. The ride began and Ana had a giddy feeling in her stomach that was half anticipation of the ride and half awareness of Josh's thigh pressed against hers. The boat reached its apex and began to dip. They were lifted a few inches off of their seats and Ana's stomach soared. She gave in to the feeling and threw her arms in the air with a scream of joy.

***

Sam was only a little nauseated when the ride stopped. The girls who had been watching them before were both dizzy and having trouble stumbling to the ride's exit. The taller one, a blonde, tripped and Sam caught her as she tumbled toward him. "Whoa, there. You Ok?" Sam helped the girl regain her balance. The blonde pushed her hair over her shoulder and glanced from Sam's face to the hand still holding her arm.

"Oh, yeah. I'm great!" She smiled and took a step so she was at Sam's side. Then she took his arm. "I'm Lydia. What's your name?"

The girl looked up at him with her big blue eyes and held tight to his bicep. Her fingers squeezed and Sam could tell she was impressed. Something roared in Sam's chest and he smiled at her. "Uh, Sam. Nice to meet you."

Lydia tilted her head to the side. "It's my pleasure, Sam."

***

After the boat ride, Josh and Ana shared popcorn and honey-roasted almonds. They sat next to each other at a picnic table and Josh asked Ana about her favorite movies. He slowly reached toward her until his fingertips touched her forearm. When she didn't pull away, he began to gently trace shapes on her skin. Ana felt like there was an electric current running through her.

When the popcorn and nuts were gone, Josh took the garbage to the trash and held out his hand to help Ana stand. He didn't let go once she was on her feet but instead linked his fingers with hers and led her back to the rides.

There were two roller coasters. One had a loop-the-loop. Josh gestured to them with his free hand. "Are you a roller coaster girl?"

Ana laughed and tugged him toward the roller coaster with the loop. "Yes, I am."

Josh laughed and Ana thought it was the best laugh she'd heard. "Ok. Lead the way."

***

Lydia's friend was Jamie and they were both perfectly happy to do whatever the guys wanted to do. They "ohh"ed and "ahh"ed as Sam and Donnie showed off at the carnival games. Sam threw more imaginary "touchdowns" at the football booth but Donnie shot one more "free throw" at the basketball booth.

The four of them shared a couple of orders of fries and then Lydia captivated the attention of both boys as she devoured a giant dill pickle. Lydia shrugged. "I love pickles." Donnie grinned at Sam and waggled his eyebrows before leading the group to the bumper cars.

***

Josh and Ana screamed like maniacs on first one roller coaster and then the other. Laughing, they got in line for the Ferris wheel. "Maybe a break from speed for a few minutes," Ana suggested. Josh agreed and took her hand again.

Sitting in the gondola on the Ferris wheel, moving very slowly as other riders were let on and off the ride, Ana was once again very aware of Josh next to her. Their fingers were still entwined and their hands were resting on Josh's knee.

As they moved toward the top, Josh began to slowly brush his fingertips over the skin of Ana's arm. Ana shivered. Josh noticed and released her hand. He moved his arm around her shoulders instead. "Better?"

The chill wasn't from the cold, but this was better so Ana nodded. She looked up into Josh's eyes. "Yes."

Josh smiled a half-smile and very, very slowly moved his face toward hers. Right as their gondola reached the top of the circle, his lips touched hers. Ana's breath caught. Josh's lips were soft and warm. He kissed her gently and slowly. It wasn't at all like kissing Wyatt, who had shoved his tongue in her mouth whenever he got the chance. Kissing Josh was like kissing a prince in a Disney movie. After a minute he pulled back and smiled shyly at her.

"I really like you, Ana," Josh said.

"I like you, too," Ana replied. Then she leaned in and kissed him again.