We Can't Both Freak Out

There were railroad tracks in front of them. Near the tracks was an old-fashioned train depot. The depot consisted of a small building, maybe 8 feet by 8 feet, and a roof that extended from the building and covered a few benches. No one was around and the depot was dark.

Sam squeezed Ana's hand and led her toward the building. "Why is there a train depot in the middle of nowhere?" he mumbled. "Maybe there used to be a town close by? I don't see anything now."

Ana looked around. "It seems unlikely that a town would vanish and not even have abandoned buildings left behind. Could it be like a rest stop? Do trains need those?"

Sam shrugged and peered into the windows of the small booth. "It's pretty run down. I don't think it's been used in a long time.

Ana let out a scared little giggle. Sam looked at her sharply. "Sorry," she waved her hand, "I was just thinking that it reminded me of Anne of Green Gables." Sam's face was blank. Ana explained, "In the books, Anne of Green Gables, which is really famous by the way, Anne arrives in Avonlea on a train. Matthew is there to pick her up but he is expecting a boy and so he doesn't realize Anne is who is meant to meet at first." Ana shrugged. "Nevermind, it's not important. This is just how I pictured it in the book."

Sam shrugged and walked closer to the tracks. "Do you think this track is still used?"

It was Ana's turn to shrug. She joined him at the edge of the track and looked both ways. "I don't know. I'm not sure that it will help us if it is. It's not like a train can just pull over for us."

"Well, no, but if we can get them to see us, then someone will know where we are. They could call someone on their cell phones or a radio or something. They would have to send someone if they saw a couple kids at an abandoned rail station, right?"

"Ok. Yeah. It's definitely better than wandering around lost in the forest." Her teeth were chattering now that they weren't walking.

Sam put his arm around her shoulders. "Let's see if we can get inside the booth."

Getting inside wasn't difficult. The door wasn't latched. It was swollen in its frame but Sam gave it a hefty push and it opened.

It was very dusty inside and smelled like mildew and rodents. It was warmer, though, with the breeze no longer blowing on them so they lifted one of the benches from outside and carried it inside. Then they huddled close together and sat.

As soon as Ana sat, she wondered if it was a mistake. The cold and the fear and the rest of the jumble of things she had avoided feeling while they were walking crashed into her like a wave. She began to tremble again and her eyes filled with tears. She moved as close as she could to her brother and wrapped her arms around him.

His voice was soft, "Ana, it's ok. Don't cry. We're gonna be fine. I'll get you back safe."

His words made her cry harder. "You're sixteen, Sammy. You shouldn't be responsible for making sure I'm safe. You have to be scared and cold and tired and hungry. Just like me, right?"

He laughed, softly, "Well, yeah, but if I'm taking care of you then I can stay tough 'cause you need me. We can't both freak out. You freak out now and I promise to take my turn later. Okay?"

Ana's laugh was wet and bubbled and she wished she had a tissue. "Okay." She rested her head on his shoulder and he rubbed her back and arms. "Thanks, Sammy."

"Yeah, I got you."

There was just enough body heat that Ana was able to fall into a light sleep.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Votes keep Ana and Sam warm!

What is the weirdest place you've ever fallen asleep?