The Dream Train

Cammy led the way through a passenger car. The heat was on but Ana was still shivering. She felt cold in her core like a microwave burrito that failed to heat through. Sam kept a hold of her hand.

The train was beautiful inside. The seats were huge and comfortable looking– upholstered in pink and blue striped fabric. The lights were dimmed for the night and the ceiling was dark blue and studded with light-up stars. The car was mostly empty, but they passed a girl who looked about ten and was asleep in her seat. Further on they passed a girl who looked about Sam's age sitting with a child in her lap and another one asleep across two seats. The girl was careful not to wake the sleeping children but smiled sweetly and waved to Sam and Ana as they passed.

Finally, Cammy led them to a row near the back of the car. "Why don't you two take this row? There are clean blankets in the overhead compartment and the seats recline with that button right there." She pointed to a brass button on the arm of the seat. "You two get settled and I'll go to the dining car and see if I can't find you something. Ok?"

Sam and Ana nodded and thanked her. Sam let Ana go first and took the aisle seat. Before sitting he reached into the overhead compartment and grabbed a pair of golden chenille blankets. He passed one to Ana. She took it, thankfully, and wrapped it around herself. The seat was even more comfortable than she had imagined. She pressed the button on the arm and the seat reclined almost horizontal. She rolled on her side to face Sam. Her teeth were still chattering, but she was starting to feel her toes and fingers warm up. "Did she say how long it would be?"

Sam shook his head. "I don't think so. You sleep, if you want, I'll check with Cammy when she comes back. Do you need another blanket?"

"No, thanks, I'm ok. I think it's at least partially just adrenaline. I am feeling better."

"Ana?" Sam chewed his lower lip.

"Yeah?"

He took a deep breath. "I'm really sorry about all of this. It's my fault. I'm sorry about Derek and I'm sorry we got lost."

Ana reached for him. "It's OK, Sammy. We are safe now. We'll get to a town and find Gran. And never talk to stupid, creepy Derek, again."

Sam smiled, "Deal."

After a few minutes, Cammy returned. She had a small tray with two cups of hot cocoa, two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, two bottles of water, and two bags of cheese puffs. Sam and Ana thanked her again. "I gotta go get a few things done but I'll be back to check on you in a bit. K?" She walked away before they could respond.

The hot cocoa helped Ana's insides to finally warm to the temperature of the train. She and Sam devoured the sandwiches but savored the cheese puffs. Ana had to pee. She looked around to see if she could spot Cammy but the conductor was nowhere to be found. "I need to pee." She whispered to Sam. He looked around, too.

"I don't see Cammy." He looked at his sister and then shrugged. "Come on. I bet there is a bathroom somewhere nearby. I'll help you find it."

Sam stood up and moved into the aisle so Ana could scout out of their row. Then he led the way. They moved in the direction Cammy had gone for food. There was a double set of doors between the cars. They passed through them and into the next car. Right past the doors was a sign for a restroom. They took turns using the restroom and cleaning up a bit. This car had a few more people than theirs but there were still many open seats. Ana studied the other passengers while she waited for Sam. Her eyebrows knit in confusion as she looked over the sleeping riders but before her brain could quite make sense of what was wrong she was distracted when Sam came out of the restroom.

Ana led the way back to their seats. Her brow furrowed as she ran her fingers over the back of the seat in front of her. "Do you remember that creepy book about a train that Gran used to read to us when we were little?"

Sam looked thoughtful. "The Polar Express?"

Ana shook her head. "No. The other one– about the dream train. It kind of rhymed but kind of didn't?"

"Oh yeah. And the pictures were weird, like, kind of faded or something."

"Yes, that one! Doesn't this train kind of look like the dream train?"

Sam looked around. "Honestly, I don't remember it that well."

"There was something about cotton seats in pink and blue and I think they even have gold blankets."

"You think this is a replica of that train? I mean, I know a few places do a Polar Express train at Christmas time but that's a really popular book. I don't think anyone else has heard of The Dream Train."

"Maybe. It is super weird, though, because did you notice that all the passengers are kids? I haven't seen any adults except Cammy. I wonder if it's like a camp or something."

Sam shrugged. "That is weird. Are you sure there weren't any adults in the other cabin?" Ana shook her head. "Maybe it's like when we went on that cruise and Mom and Dad went to the party and we had a sleepover in the kids club?"

"Yeah. . . Maybe." Now that she was warm and full and her bladder was empty, Ana was having trouble staying focused. She was so tired. She reclined her seat again and closed her eyes. She heard Sam's seat slide into place next to hers and peaked from under her eyelids once to see him settle in and close his eyes. Then Ana let her eyes shut and was asleep without any further thought.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vote to give Ana good dreams!

Was there a kids' book/story you found creepy as a little kid?