018.

GLISTENING DIAMONDS.
018. ❛ midnight worries.

THE ELEVATOR SHUDDERED to a stop for a moment, but before anyone could do anything, Spider-Man fell right into the center of the elevator out of nowhere; his weight had only caused the elevator to drop down once again at a faster pace.

Before it could hit the floor, Peter managed to shoot his webs up at the ceiling.  He was balancing the elevator with his feet flat against the edges of what was left of the roof and used his webs to pull the elevator up, "Don't worry, everyone, I got this."

"Yes!" Ned cheered before dancing around the elevator, clearly happy he wasn't dead and his best friend had saved him.

"Hey, hey, big guy. Quit moving around!" Peter shrieked as the weight of the elevator tested the strength of his webs.

"Sorry, sir, so sorry," Ned quickly muttered and stopped moving instantly.

"Alright, this is your stop. Everybody out, out, out!" Peter encouraged yet also slightly demanded as the security pried open the elevator doors.

Mr. Harrington and Ned were first to get out, and finally, just as Liz was next, the small part Peter had been using to keep himself steady broke off. The elevator, for the third time that day, went to plummet down to the bottom of the monument.

"Liz!" Peter yelled as he, Diana, and Liz all fell. Diana caught Liz in her arms and threw her up just in time for Peter's web to secure around her hand while Diana continued to fall with the elevator.

Peter soon fell back after Diana and managed to wrap his arms around her to shield them from the upcoming plummet until they both connected with the cold, hard floor, and it all went black for the two.

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY both teenagers were all right, but Diana had bruises and cuts littering her body, making it hard to move. Not to mention, she sprained her right ankle and had a little limp as she got out of the school bus parked at Midtown High.

As the school bus pulled to a stop and people started filing out, Diana leaned on Peter for support. Her eyes scanned the emotional reunions around her, a small, sad smile touching her lips as she took in the scene of families coming back together.

"Will you be okay?" Peter asked gently as he pulled Diana off to the side. His chestnut brown eyes carefully examined the girl, his hand going to her chin to move her face from left to right, a faint glimmer of worry hidden in his chocolate irises.

"Mhm." Diana hummed weakly, trying to form a smile, which failed miserably as her green eyes swirled with pain. She cringed when Peter examined a cut that was on her cheek. It stung with pain as she flinched back, her whole body aching.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry." Peter apologized repeatedly as he stepped back, scared he would hurt her again.

"It's okay, come here," Diana grabbed his hand, rubbing her thumb over his knuckles before pulling him into a hug. No other words were exchanged as they fell into the tired embrace, both physically and emotionally drained. As they pulled away, Diana grinned lazily, teasing him with a playful, "I'm not that weak, Spidey."

Peter snorted and smiled at the floor, lowering his arms from her sides. He looked so tired, like he could fall asleep right then and there if she let him. "You've seriously got to come up with a better nickname than that," he quipped.

Diana raised her eyebrows, "Oh yeah? Would you rather I called you 'Itsy Bitsy?' Or perhaps 'arachnid?'"

"Enough." Peter laughed and pulled her back into another hug. Never wanting to forget the feeling of her head resting against his neck or feeling her body heat radiating against his.

"I'm sorry I keep dragging you into all of my bullshit all the time," Peter mumbled against the top of her head.

Diana played with the little curly strands of his hair as she let her eyes flutter close, "It's alright. I don't mind, to be honest."

Pulling apart yet again, Peter let his eyes fall to the floor; Diana knew exactly what he was thinking about at that moment.

She placed a cold hand on his cheek and lifted his head so her eyes could meet his guilty ones, "I'm fine, Peter, honestly. No stupid fall is going to kill me."

"But what if it did? Neither of us knew if you would've survived that fall if I hadn't caught you. I swear my heart stopped because if— if you died—" By now, Peter had tears in his eyes.

Diana placed a hand over his mouth and shook her head, "Shut up. I'm not going to die. I still haven't kissed you properly yet, so until then, I simply cannot die."

Peter smiled with a blush creeping up his neck and gave her one last short hug, his hands lying dangerously low on Diana's waist. Not that either of them noticed.

Diana stepped back and put her hand on his shoulder, giving him a kiss on the cheek, "Get some sleep, Pete. You look like shit."

Peter nodded with a chuckle before his eyes lit up as he remembered something, "Oh, Aunt May and I are going to head out for some Thai. Would you like to join us?"

Diana opened her mouth, and she almost wanted to say yes, but she just couldn't. "Oh, uh, I would love to. I really would, but I should be going home."

"It's alright, maybe next time." Peter gave a reassuring smile, "See you at school then?"

Diana nodded with a small smile, "Yeah, bye, Pretty Parker." And with that, she squeezed his hand and looked into his brown eyes for a moment before throwing a playful wink and walking away on her own.