38. Love Trial

Wei ying who was in the form of Lan yi, had trouble trying to speak further. Not because he was exhausted but there was something else controlling him. Hui Zheng, the green man's silhouette, was seen at the corner of the corridor with a shining metal piece in hand. Wei ying cursed his luck for not having his soul weapon at the moment. What if he doesn't carry the soul weapon, he had his soulmate whom he could call for rescue. 

'Lan zhan, Save me' 

He used his last remains of core power lingering in his soul to turn on his core bond and cried for help. 

Curses of Madam Lan were heard before Wei ying's eyes were shut. 

"What did you do to my daughter that she lost her marbles?" 

Hui zheng who reached the particular cell, eyed his men and a guard bolted out to plaster Madam Lan's mouth with a thick cloth. 

"I will keep cursing you in my mind, you green vile crea..mmmphh" 

Hui zheng massaged his temples before looking at Lan yi's body that was lying on the floor. 

"Transfer the body to my room. Send extra men to supervise"  Hui zheng instructed. 

"It's highly dangerous, my lord. How about we lock this body in the same room as yin metal, so that it could keep the power in check?"  The minister who stood behind him suggested. 

"Bird brain! What if the metal surrenders to him? Just do as I said!"  Hui zheng shouted, irritated. 

At cloud recesses

Lan zhan was playing his Wangji to cool down his heart which kept bothering him for sending Wei ying out of Jingshi forcefully. 

'Lan zhan, Save me' 

Lan zhan internally shuddered at the voice and the message. He was hoping that he could listen to Wei ying's thoughts and emotions but never in his imagination had he thought that it would be like this.

His body reacted before his mind did, by running towards the room where he pushed his Wei ying to stay. As he forced the door to open, he saw Wei ying, all alone on the floor without anyone to check on him. Lan zhan blamed himself for leaving his Wei ying in this state. 

"Wei ying" Lan zhan did not wait anymore before he took Wei ying in his arms. He checked the pulse only to find that there was no soul left in the body. Lan zhan's heart sank at the discovery. He closed the distance between him and his Wei ying by sticking himself to the other.

He did not cry. He sat there petrified. He couldn't think of anything. His world stood still.

Xichen, who learnt that his brother had prepared a room separately for his brother-in-law, wanted to visit him and saw his brother bolting out like he lost his life. 

"Wangji" 

Xichen followed and found his brother void of any emotions. 

"My Wei ying" Lan zhan hugged the soulless body even tighter. 

Without needing any words to be exchanged, Xichen crouched down and tried to examine why his brother-in-law looked pale. Like a wonder, before Xichen could send his spiritual power to Wei ying, the latter opened his eyes like nothing happened. 

"Wangji, I know you will be back.." Lan zhan pushed the body away like he felt disgusted at the contact, at once he heard the voice. 

"Wangji, it's rude" Xichen, who had never once raised his voice against his brother, had to do it today. 

Lan zhan exited the room, ignoring everything, cursing himself for being such an ill mannered person. He remembered how he felt his world crumble down when he saw his Wei ying. But why did he feel disgusted when his soulmate woke up from death? He should be responsible for his partner. It's time that i put efforts to keep myself sane, he thought to himself. 

Back in the room, Xichen who wanted to check Wei ying to identify what went wrong a while ago, was shrugged away by Wei ying stating he is alright. Lan yi was glad that Xichen did not force her in doing it, making her save the situation of getting exposed by her contrasting soul which is now living off Wei ying's body. She herself was not sure why her soul was pulled by a sudden force. 

Lan zhan had to conclude that it must be his Wei ying since he was able to hear his thoughts. He collected himself before heading back to Wei ying's room and bowed down his head accepting his impolite behavior. 

"I shall take my leave." Xichen excused himself after giving a shoulder hug to his brother. 

"I am staying here starting now." Lan zhan informed Wei ying, holding his breath. He felt like he was getting punished by the heavens for having to stay in the same room. In the next second he regretted thinking it that way. 

He sat at the other end of the room and had maids serve food and necessities separately for each other. Lan yi opened her mouth to bring any topic to talk to Lan zhan but she couldn't bring herself to do that while witnessing the extremely cold aura. She was happy that Lan zhan finally agreed to stay with her and she hoped for the night to come soon so that she could win Lan zhan in bed. When day fell, Lan zhan stood up from his place and Lan yi's lips curved up. 

'Few more seconds and he is all mine' Lan yi saw herself getting close to her goal. 

Lan zhan moved towards the door and Lan yi's heart started beating faster at the thought of being in a room with doors closed. She clutched her robes tightly and she craved for his touch. Though she felt disappointed for having a man's body, she appreciated herself for picking an enticing inner robe to wear today inside her ordinary Lan disciple robes. 

When her fantasies ran wild, like pouring cold water on her face, Lan zhan closed the door from outside and said

"I shall guard the room for you to be safe"