Deceived By The Mask - Part 2

Before I knew it the evening of the black-and-white ball was here. I had managed to create an amazing floor length black ballgown to wear for the event. The Baronesses dress code was extremely strict and after challenging her the other day, I didn't want to be in her bad books by not obeying it. I wasn't as upset about attending as I had originally been. After all, it did give me a good opportunity to socialise and network with other designers in the fashion industry. Plus it was even better to knowing that Estella wasn't going to be there. Ever since the day of the meeting things had been really awkward between us, and I couldn't get her off my mind. The idea of me liking her like that seemed ridiculous, and I knew there was no way she would like me like that back. I knew that it could never be like that between us, it would be far too complicated.

I decided to push Estella out of my mind, and try to focus on enjoying my evening. I stood at the side of the ballroom with a few of my colleagues, observing the party as we waited for the Baroness to make her grand entrance. The room was full of guests all dressed head to toe in black and white, with not one splash of colour insight. As the Baroness made her way down the stairs, the whole room fell silent in anticipation of one of her famous, and as usual self-centred, welcome speeches. Every eye in the room was locked on the Baroness and her beautiful and stylish black and white gown, as she preened, basking in the attention of it all. The Baroness held her glass up in the air raising a toast herself of course. The rest of the room, myself included, followed putting our drinks to our mouths toasting this so-called wonderous occasion.

Almost immediately after the toast, the whole crowds attention turned, as a huge crashing sound echoed through the room. A mysterious woman dressed head to toe in a gleaming white cloak had intentionally knocked over the impressive, but rather excessive champagne tower. All eyes locked on this mysterious stranger as she stood calmly and nonchalantly in the destruction. The shards of glass and champagne surrounding her feet.

"Do you have a light?" She casually asked one of the butlers, her voice low and smooth.

As he handed her a lit match, a devious smile graced her face. As she dropped the lit match on her cloak, the room lit up, the fabric setting a light. The flames surrounded her before fading into nothing, revealing the most fabulous, bright red floor length gown. Now seeing her hair that was hidden beneath the hood of her cloak, half jet black and half as white as snow. The woman was without a doubt the most glamourous and captivating woman I had ever seen. I stood there revelling in her beauty, just taking in every little aspect of the mysterious woman I saw before me.  The Baroness, however, gave her the coldest stare that had ever been seen, before hissing at her guards to get her. I stood by watching as the woman singlehandedly took down each of the Baronesses guards, with both sophistication and finesse. She certainly was both stylish and impressive, and I knew in that instant I needed to know more about her. 

The tension in the room grew heavy as the woman now stood face to face with the Baroness, proudly stating her name was "Cruella." The Baroness invited her to take a seat, which surprised most of the guests, not least myself. I was expecting the Baroness to throw her out immediately. They both took as seat and the guests carried on, now minding their own business. But Cruella had certainly made an impact on me. I was utterly captivated by her and so I continued to stand by watching her every move. My heart pounded as her eyes momentarily locked on mine from the other side of the room. She stared back at me with the same intrigue and enthusiasm in her eyes as I had in mine. Before breaking out intense eye contact to continue her tense discussion with the Baroness.

Before I knew it, chaos had unfolded at the party. The vicious barks of the Baronesses dogs and the screams of the party guests echoed throughout the ballroom as they all frantically ran from the rats that had invaded the party. I stood there momentarily in shock at the events that had just unfolded, my mind still focused on the mysterious Cruella woman. I couldn't help but follow her as one of the Baronesses waiters led her out of the party, desperately hoping that I would get just a moment to speak with her. As I made my way outside, I scanned the driveway looking for her, but I lost her in the sea of guests who had now flooded on to the car park outside the mansion. Realising that she had gone before I even had the chance to speak to her, I let out a long sigh and decided to make my way home from the party.