Chapter 8

Athanasios was beyond confused as to why Felix thought it was a good idea to just abandon them in their father's room. The man was sleeping so peacefully as though he didn't even have any responsibilities. The room was more simple than Athanasios would have imagined, he imagined everything to be filled with- ah never mind, he could always count on his sister to scope out the gold.

Why on earth did he have a golden map- he wanted one. "Perhaps we can sneak it out of here," he whispered in amusement to his sister as she was staring at it as though she had fallen in love.

She looked back at him surprised, then she shook her head, grinning like a mad man, "There's more gold! If we're going to sneak something out it should be smaller!" she ran off after whispering back to him in a loud whisper.

He stared at her as she ran, astonished... he was only joking.

He saw him awkwardly stare at a picture frame on the floor, he walked towards it. Anastasia didn't seem interested in it. The glass covering the painting was cracked, and behind the cracked pane, was a beautiful woman, he crouched down to the floor, squatting down and staring at it while walking away.

The woman in the painting had chestnut brown hair. Yes, she was beautiful, yet he didn't feel comfortable... who was she? It was as though her green eyes were piercing through him, a smug smirk playing on her lips.

She seemed confident and sophisticated.

He got up, finally. He stood as tall as he could, his arms stretched into the air as he yawned, turning he saw his sister in front of their father. In a bored fashion, he moved to where she was. He was an emperor, yet he was opting to sleep on a couch rather than on his bed? Priorities, right?

"What are you doing?" he whispered to his sister, she looked at him startled, before covering her mouth with both hands, to cover to sound she had just made. She took a few steps away from Claude, before sighing in relief.

She rushed towards her brother, "Athan! I could have woke him up with how you scared me!"

He shrugged his shoulders not particularly hating the idea, "Why not just do just that?" Athan mused loudly, which resulted in something being thrown at him, "Ow!" he hissed, turning to her, frowning, "What did I do!?" he asked in a hushed whisper, "We're going to die!" she snapped at him.

He stopped himself from smiling- from laughing. To her, he was just her annoying five-year-old brother. He frowned, pretending to panic, "Die? Athy, what do you mean by that," tears brimming in his eyes.

Her eyes widened, she felt like bashing her head into a wall, how stupid could she be, she nearly forgot her brother was an actual child unlike her. She rushed to him, "Athy was only joking Athan. You know! You like jokes!" she whispered, grabbing his hands, swinging them side to side.

He should be an actor.

"Oh, okay. It wasn't a funny joke- hey, what about escaping? He can jump out the window" he responded, taking his hands out of hers and peaking through the draped curtains.

Again she frowned, "Are we not really high up?" she asked, slightly pushing him to the side, their shoulders touching as they both looked down.

"If we did, we would actually die, Athan." She whispered to him.

He turned to his sister, smiling innocently.

"I suppose we can't have a double homicide right below the Emperor's window." He mused, but for some reason that had Athy burst into a fit of laughter, he only laughed along with her, because the laugh was contagious.