Chapter 15

He ignored him. His father that is. Completely ignoring his entire existence- to think that his sperm donor could be so cruel to punish a man for a mistake one that couldn't have been avoided. He resented the man for his rash actions, to think a family was now in mourning due to the Emperor's selfishness.

He was one of the people in this world he could count on just as he could trust the man, nearly as much as he did Lillian even if he had known the man for a short amount of time.

Athanasios was aware that Rowan was a father, though he was unsure how many he had fathered, he just knew the man had a family. It showed in the way he treated him at times, whether giving him advice as a father would- the man acted more of a father than Athanasios own one.

Therefore it made sense to him to seize any acknowledgement of this so-called father. He did not care if it jeopardise gaining the man's favour, he didn't need it if he was to ignore the man sentencing an innocent to death.

Athanasios hadn't actually told his sister of the demise of his personal knight. He was sure she assumed he had been relieved of his duties. She of course noticed his behaviour, he wasn't too sure what seemed different but she knew.

There wasn't a moment he had to tell himself that it wasn't his fault because he felt as though it was, perhaps it was. He wasn't supposed to exist in this world, was he?

Death was supposed to be the end yet here he was born a prince to some realm.

He blamed his supposed behaviour on the drain of his magic from the incident, it was easy enough to convince Athy there was nothing wrong with his silent demeanour then there were Lillian and Felix on the other hand who actually knew the reason for this 'change'.

Felix must have told Lillian of the incident with Rowan otherwise he was sure the woman shouldn't know, it's not exactly public knowledge what had happened to Rowan. They on the other hand treated him like broken glass being careful around him and trying to make him feel comfortable.

Lillian had told him 'mourning' was okay. That it was normal for him to be sad that someone that he cared about was no longer around and would never come back.

He hadn't even thought of it. Mourning that is... he didn't realise what it was, what he was feeling.

How could he not? He was with Rowan every day for a good while for him to have made a connection with him it didn't help that he had been replaced by some knight his father had assigned to him.

Lorance Penot.

If he was to be asked to give a word that best describes him it would be mundane.

The man was as boring as they come, then again the man's job was not to entertain him so he endured his lessons during these past few months and he was readily getting better with the sword at least compared to those he was supposed to be agemates with.

He ended up befriending an Alpheus, not the duke but his son and heir, Ijekiel.

His sister, Athanasia always asked him multiple questions about his visit, especially about Ijekiel's cousin, Jennette.

Perhaps she was jealous it was the only thing he could come up with when she made faces when he would say she was nice or if he even mentioned her name once without her asking.

"Wouldn't that just be the same?" Ijekiel asked, pondering what was just said by the prince.

At the moment he was at the residence of the Alpheus family, he was practically there most of the time. Surprisingly enough his father never really objected but he could see the annoyance when he asked to go.