Chapter 10 - Lars

Place and time: Finn's pack (Northern River Border), while Isabel dines in the South with her Alpha

The lost Luna walks off the midnight Ferry, gaze empty and shoulders slouched under the weight of whatever answers she is carrying. Or the lack of them.

I would almost be sorry for her, if I wouldn't still be so very angry at the way she evaded my watch.

"Luna." My greeting is spoken through fangs.

Ayn looks through me, her body here, on Shifter ground, but her mind probably still across the River. She looks unbearably young and fragile, and although she's not, it's totally wrecking my Beta stance.

"You didn't have to wait for me."

"Oh, but I did. My Alpha ordered me to. Remember him? The one who is responsible for the whereabouts of the pack members?"

This would be the point where Ayn would give me her one-sided contemptuous smile and remind me to watch my young hybrid male mouth. Instead she answers quietly:

"I have a free pass from your father when it comes to Defenders, Lars."

"Why?" I ask holding her arm and stop her from sitting on the sidewalk as she intends to.

"It's a long story."

"Well, you are at liberty to break all the rules apparently, and it's not like somebody is waiting for us for dinner."

Ayn eyes my hand, still wrapped around her biceps tightly, probably evaluating her chances of escape. They are low this time, unless she decides to use the full extent of her powers on me. I bite my lip expectantly, assessing if I am ready to stand by my statement and put up with some poison vines around my neck.

"I am tired, Lars. Let's go home, we can talk about this with Kari."

"No. If you are too tired to speak, then show me." I roll up my sleeve, uncovering the sacred mark on my wrist. I flash it in front of her lowered gaze. 

"Sure." 

She slaps her own thin wrist over mine and an image of my father appears in my mind's eye. 

"Please, Kari?" 

I hear Ayn's voice, but I cannot see her, since my eyes borrow her perspective. 

The gaze wanders down, where her long fingers are rubbing the head of a pup she's holding. 

It's too big for it to be Eino and too light-haired to be Sven, so it's probably me. 

My father rubs his temples, acquiescing to her ask with a nod.

"Fine. I will have your back whenever it comes to Defenders. I trust you won't abuse this free pass."

The image vanishes and Ayn raises her eyebrows at me:

"See, it's because I asked him to."

I am seething mad for falling into the trap of my own stupidly formulated question.

"Mother!!!"

Ayn sighs, placing her wrist over mine again.

Flashing memories of a beautiful summer day roll through my consciousness, a baby sleeping quietly nestled between a wolf and a lynx. 

I know the wolf - it's my father. I know the lynx - it's Zero, my mom's big cat who died some years ago, but not before bringing us ZeroOne who is now probably in front of our house, throwing a tantrum because his witch is not around. And I know the baby, I have just identified him before as being me.