Chapter 20 - Lars

An unplanned challenge must be announced to the Shifter's Council.

A second-born Alpha-blooded pup - or, a firstborn who lost their birthright for whatever reason - sends a brief form letter, stating the leader they want to challenge and the date on which they want to do it. The Shifter's Council then proceeds to inform all pack leaders about the event, as a heads-up that they might need to modify their standing agreements and alliances. They are also allowed to come and witness the fight if they want.

I started to write my notice on the evening my brother became Alpha, but I somehow never brought myself to finalize it and send it in.

***

"Did you send it?" Sven asked me again one morning after the rest of his staff had left his office and we - the troublesome threesome - were alone.

"No."

"Bro. I have literally broken my back - several times I may add - to rise to Alpha in six months so that you can have the freedom to do your challenge. What is going on?"

"Yeah, Lars, what is going on? Not feeling ready to take on Owen?" Eino crossed his feet on the table, looking at me expectantly. A growl from our new Alpha made him resume a more respectful position.

"I am more than ready for a fight. It's just that...there was this moment at your ceremony when she gave him the calming touch... What if she truly chose him as her mate? What if her dream is to be Owen's female, Luna of the River Border? What if she thinks like you Eino, or like Raya, that the bond is a leash and we should be able to make our own decisions as to whom we take as a mate?"

"To your first question, bro, I can tell you for a fact that she didn't."

Eino rested his elbows on his knees and the serious tone he used was so atypical for him that both Sven and I prepared to listen attentively.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Do you know the Sacred Rock on Jake's territory? It's this awesome peak, close to our Western Border. It's amazing because there are different routes to get to the top, but one of them, the Shifter's variant..." My brother's eyes lit up with pleasure, as always when he spoke of climbing.

"Bro, focus."

Sven's hurried ask brought back the young one to the reality of the flat room we were in.

"Right, anyway, I went with Liam the other day to climb it and when we were coming back here, we stopped for a drink. We happened to be at a table close to Peter and Arnie, some of their other wolves were also there. One of them asked Peter whether he has already eyed another female, now that his Alpha denied him the last opportunity for him to get Alejandra. Unsurprisingly, mom was right about him. He was planning to challenge you."

Eino grins, but Sven's eyes turn to the midnight black of Thunder, forcing the young one to show his neck. He still mumbles defensively:

"Bro, I am just the messenger and also, I can stop talking at any time if you want me to."

A frustrated hand gesture from our Alpha encourages him to continue.

"Right, and then he said that he doesn't know, maybe he'll travel North. And then..." Eino shakes his head with disgust, his eyes closing tightly as if he would be protecting himself from the terrible image he's about to share with us.

"And then what?"

"And then Arnie said he's ready to come as a witness, but only if Peter promises to mate the female on the spot. Because it seemed to be a very effective way to convince her to mark him back. Gave legitimacy to the whole affair."