Chapter 13 - Lars

When I park the car on the Ferry I can allow myself to dwell on one singular, magnificent image.

That of Isabel smiling.

She smiled. Not that fake Luna smile, the genuine one, a beautiful one that ignited her eyes and melted that horrible frost of sadness that was dulling them before.

Unfortunately, she quickly composed herself, lips relaxing, eyes darkening.

It was brief, like when a gust of wind blows away a blackout curtain, allowing the sun to come inside, only to settle and let the fabric fall in its place, taking the light away with it.

But that short moment had been enough for me to understand that Raya's suspicions were very likely to be true.

A female so happy to hear news from her friend wouldn't purposely avoid contact with said friend for two years. She had been unable to call her because something else than the regular busyness of life was in her way. Something large, something big, potentially a fully grown Alpha who had claimed her as mate to get his father's pack.

"Waverider, what's going on with your wolf?" Ayn asks, suddenly interrupting my musings and I don't understand her question.

"It was all surfacing when we spoke to those females and it still is," she explains, drawing a small circle in the air at the level of her eyes and then asks innocently: "Was that female your mate?"

My heart is smashing furiously against my ribcage, as I wonder how I will wiggle myself out of an explanation for Lightning's behavior.

"Nura is mated, mom," I hear Sven commenting from the backseat, effectively preventing me from accidentally and uselessly spilling my dirty secret. I had completely forgotten that there was another female next to Isabel.

"All these years, and I still cannot read shifters' body language cues. I am sorry," Ayn blushes, rubbing my knee apologetically. I feel even more guilty because she's embarrassed when her intuition was right on point.

I see Sven in the rearview mirror muttering "You're welcome," as my mom adds quietly:

"Anyways, could you please get a grip on him and make sure none of that happens when we are on the Witches' Plains and more importantly, at the Council?"

We are not allowed to shift freely on the Witches' Plains. I breathe deeply and think of an activity my human body loves - snowboarding below the Pass with Sven and whoever happens to be around - and Lightning withdraws with a whimper.

***

That evening Sybille shames me exactly as I had expected. Whereas my brother displayed all the power of his fire core, I was unable to fulfill any requests for water spells.

Lying frustrated in the guest bed I had been offered in Ina's house, I point to the ceiling.

Snowflake.

Snowflake.

Many snowflakes, all sadly melting on my hosts' bedsheets.

"May I come out now?" A shy growl curls my lips up in a smile, and I allow Lightning to hover at my surface.

"Lean on me, Lars," my wolf invites me and I need some seconds to process his words. I've always pushed him out of my mind when practicing the craft, and I never thought there would be power in keeping our connection active.

But in this context, his proposal makes sense. His core is not frozen, his mate is not marked, his bond is not blocked. And if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter, there is no pure-blooded witch in this room to raise a discontent eyebrow at me.