Chapter 23 - Isabel

As I scramble to write the to-do list Lars is dictating, I realize there is much truth in the saying "be careful what you wish, you just might get it". In my case - that would be wanting to do real Luna work.

Like in Owen's times I jot down everything, paying attention to the side comments, to make sure I don't miss any details. I will sort and color-code everything later.

Call Alejandra. Ask her to help you with getting the contacts of all Land Core Lunas. Except for Jake's mate, no need to meet her.

This phrase is a bit smeared on my paper by a gratitude teardrop.

Call Irene. Increase your meetings to weekly. Whatever time you want to have them. Which reminds me,

Buy yourself a new phone. Ask Ale, she knows people.

Call your parents. Because they love you and miss you and they will drive me crazy with their phone calls. At minimum let your fathers know that it's not me who forbids you to have contact with them.

Set up a meeting for us with Clan Leader Maya, we need to get that budget sorted out. Tell her assistant you are my...this pack's Luna. Maya knows me, her son is my godfather. No, I cannot call her myself, the witches prefer to speak to the female leaders.

Organize the cleaning of the Alpha quarters. Make them yours. Throw away his stuff. We will have budget to spare since we don't pay for rogue services, get whatever you want.

Empty Owen's former apartment in  the East Wing. Yes, it's for me. It's tradition that the Alpha watches over the River? I'll take the mountains' view for now. No furniture, I'll bring my stuff from home...from Eagle Rock.

Train with Eino.

Train the females. I am sorry what? Was this guy completely insane to ban his Luna from training? Well, consider yourself unbanned, effective as of now. Which reminds me,

Train mind holding. With me, to start.

Start driving with Gamma Harry

Find me a place for a garden. And a greenhouse. Check costs for building a greenhouse.

Look into the state of the schools and hospital and provide me with a brief update. No, not written, just verbal and we'll discuss the next steps.

"But most importantly, Luna, get yourself some staff. Can you work with Knox's mate?"

I nod enthusiastically, not only because Knox was sitting right there, but because with Nura as my Beta I could get the work done, and maybe, after a week or two, I could even get some sleep.

"Good, take her and pick three other females to support you. Put two of them in charge of the household stuff."

This sounds too good to be true.

I look at him for some seconds, expecting to hear „Just kidding, Isabel, this is not Finn's pack with infinite resources."

It's what the previous Alpha explained to me several times when I stepped into my role.

But this Alpha, the new one, just sits cross-legged on his chair, elbows resting on the table, long fingers expertly twisting a pen on the surface of his desk, while waiting for my reply.

I feel suddenly hot, my pulse rising dangerously, forcing a veil of sweat at the surface of my skin. And when I close my eyes to take a calming breath, I inhale a lungful of Owen, because this office still smells of him. So I open them again, looking at Lars, desperately trying to see him.