riya

3.05.1959
third. may. nineteen fifty nine.

Dallas Texas

ARIYA WALTON fell from the vortex and tripped on her feet the alley behind Commerce and Knox.

She tried calling out for her friends... but the vortex disappeared.

It looked like the sun had just set.

Everything looked so weird.

and old...

"What year is this?" she thought.

She was walking around and picked up a flyer.

"wanted, salesmen for 'xyz' shop. note; only applicable till 5.06.1959."

Riya let out a gasp.

"1959?"

"shit." she mouthed.

She quickly shoved her hands in her pocket where she had dumped her phone.

It was 1959 so the phone was pretty much useless, but she had stuffed her hanuman chalisa.

She sighed and gripped it in her hand and walked.

-x-

She was so confused.

Where were the Hargreeves?

was she the only one who made it?

"Don't think like that!" she thought.

She ignored her survivors guilt which never seemed to leave her and focused on her current situation.

She was stuck in Dallas.

In the year 1959.

And she couldn't speak.

No, she was a brown girl in Dallas, stuck in the year 1959, who couldn't speak.

Her life crumbled again.

What was she supposed to do.

She didn't know sign language.

She didn't know shit about anything.

She was scared.

Breathing was getting harder and harder.

She was once again all alone.

All alone in a completely different timeline.

She was losing her control of her surroundings.

"Are you okay there?" someone asked her, but she was too occupied to think.

She crashed into the person.

She was about to say sorry, but her vocal chords made no attempt to help her.

So instead she did this...

 "Are you alright?" he asked her, he looked concerned.

She wanted to nod, but she shook her head.

He noticed the scar on her chin and bandage that covered her neck and realised she couldn't speak.

"Are you hungry?" he asked and she hesitatingly nodded.

"Let's get you some food alright?" he asked and she just followed him.

What could go wrong... right?

It's not like she was following some random stranger who could be an axe murderer...

oh wait-

But at least he was British...

-x-

"I'm Chris." he smiled kindly.

Riya smiled back, but Riya didn't know how to introduce herself.

They made it to a restaurant, but were quickly stopped when the workers angrily showed them the sign.

whites only 

Riya visible flinched, hurt at the act they had just pulled.

It wasn't very common for racism to exist now a days... but unfortunately, even staying in 2019, people used to act differently towards her... just cause the colour of her skin.

"Y'all are pathetic, you know that?" Chris spat at them and looked back at Riya with nothing but kindness in his eyes, "let's find a better place, yeah?" he asked and made her smile and nod.

...

They made it to a normal restaurant, but Riya was shocked to see only coloured folks went there.

Was white supremacy that bad?

She sighed.

"What would you like to eat?" he asked her as he handed her the menu.

Riya looked at the cheapest thing that would fill her stomach. She would feel bad, if she took something expensive.

Riya pointed at the waffles that were about 3 dollars.
(bruh idk the money conversion lol)

"You sure you don't want anything else?" he asked and she nodded, "how about some coffee?" he offered and she nodded.

When the waitress took their order, Riya asked her to give her a paper and a pencil.

"I'm Riya." she wrote and gave it to Chris.

"That's a nice name there." he smiled.

thenks for reading<3