First Day

I laid on my bed thinking of how the day started off so well, and just went down from there. I managed to get out of Kota's house, reminding him it was late and that I had to get home. I avoided any more questions. They didn't deserve the answers. The boys would just leave me anyways. 

It was now Monday, I didn't leave the house for two days. I checked my radio's clock, it read 7:12AM. I couldn't sleep, yet I didn't want to get out of bed. 

"Sang, the bus leaves in 20 minutes. Get up." My sister—Marie—called. 

I entered the long, yellow vehicle  and sat down saving room for my sister. Only, she didn't join me and kept walking to the back. I knew we weren't close but I thought we at least had a truce. Looking back, she never returned my loyalty. Marie threw me under the bus anytime she could, while I would keep my mouth shut no matter how hard mother's punishments were.  I had never tried looking through her diary like she did to mine, it was a family betrayal I just couldn't participate in. 

I sat alone for half the ride until a slightly chubby guy with menthol and cigarette breath squeezed nest to me. 

"Hey girl" He tilted his chin upward. I didn't respond. Butterflies filled my stomach but not like they did when I was near Kota, or North, or the others. He cupped my chin and moved my gaze toward him, "I'm talking to you. What's you name?". He brought his face closer to mine as I held back gagging from his breath. 

I knew how to fade into the background, I wanted to. Why wasn't this working?  No one noticed me at my old school. "...Sang" I whispered, slowly turning away from him. 

"Sing? That's weird. I'm Greg." I wasn't willing to correct him, I wasn't sure I wanted my name spoken from his mouth. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, causing me to jump. "Girls love my touch, Sing. Don't worry soon you'll be begging for more." I lifted his hand and nudged it off my shoulder, forcing a smile so he would not continue. "Is this your thing? Playing hard to get? I like that." 

I was thankful to lose Greg in the crowd of people. I sped to my first class, English. I made it before everyone else. I was never perfect with directions, but I was not horrible either. There were two to a desk. I sat near the back. The bell rand and students filed in. I kept my head down, analyzing my cracked hands. I often washed and sanitized them until they bled. The warmth of a body sat beside me, I looked up to see North. Kota was sitting ahead of me. North gently grabbed for my hand to look closer at the cracks, I went to pull away but he kept a firm grip. 

"North, don't scare her. Be gentle." Kota warned. 

North's eyes held an apology as he brushed my fingers with his thumb. Although it was a sweet gesture, the monster just couldn't stop thinking about all the places his hands had been. Did he use the washroom? Did he wash his hands? Which door handles did he touch? Had he touched anyone else's hand? Were my hands safe for him to touch? What if I held a contagious bacterial disease?! I couldn't take it anymore. I slipped my hand away and grabbed the sanitizer in my bag. I closed the lid, opened, and applied more. Then repeated that action two more times before the storm in my head cleared. 

I kept my eyes forward all class. If North had seen me sanitizing my hands, I was too ashamed to see his disgust. These guys betrayed me, yet I still cared about what they thought. However, I'd spent the weekend thinking about it. They gave up my secrets so easily, but out of protection. Kota was understanding, Silas and North were protective, Nathan and Gabriel were hurt that I was hurting, Victor and Luke just wanted to cheer me up, and Dr. Green cared. Why did it feel like they liked me more than my own family? Such little time yet such deep connections. 

I had managed to get through the whole day relatively ignore. It was harder than last year. Multiple men cat called and attempted to grab my attention, so I ended up hiding in the girl's washroom throughout lunch. I dodged any attempt Kota and the others tried speaking with me. However, I couldn't decipher why. I was no longer upset with them. The bell rang and I walked toward the bus when a revolting menthol scent invaded my nose. 

an arm wrapped around my shoulder, "Hey Sing! Sit with me in the back, will you?" It wasn't a question, rather a command. 

"Um... hi Greg." I stalled trying to think of an excuse. His mere presence made me uneasy. I bet he hardly ever washed his hands. "I've actually got homework to focus on. But maybe next time."

"Nah, come on Singy Sing. I know you want to." He teased, only it wasn't funny. He brought me to the end chair of the bus, forcing me on his lap. As the bus started moving, his hands did too.