Torn Knees

His deep eyes searched mine, as if he could see through every secret I had. He kept his face close to mine, even though he had finished assessing. "I can assure you that if you are not honest with me right now, I will find out the truth." It was not a threat, he stated this as if it were factual. 

"My... um." Should I really tell him? I didn't want to. I weighed the options as quickly as I could, then blurted "Mom."

"Sang, baby." Silas breathed. I had forgotten he was in the room. Guilt flooded over me as I realized what I had done. I betrayed my own mother. My own family. Could Doctor Green leave me be? I was not ready for change. I did not want it. I was fine, everything was fine. When I misbehaved, I was punished. That is all. 

"you do not actually self-harm, do you?" Doctor Green pressed. 

"No. well... Sort of." I responded. Doctor Green and Silas glanced at each other, as if trying to solve the riddle I had just gave them. "My... Mom starts it. Then I have to finish it. Make it symmetrical." I squeezed my eyelids shut, fighting back tears. They had to hate me now. 

I stood and raced to the door, when I opened it, I was met with all eight pairs of eyes, including Doctor Green. The boys enveloped me in a hug, surrounding me with love and acceptance. I wanted to apologize for all the trouble I caused. I didn't deserve them. Why me?

"I have to ask, have you had any recent punishments implemented by your mother?" Doctor Green asked, softly. The boys took a stepped back, analyzing me. 

"No, not since the last one you helped me with." I looked away. I couldn't keep bringing them into this. They knew now, but I didn't have to tell them everything

"Check her knees." Silas announced. How did he know, I never said anything?

"No, I'm fine." I insisted

"If you're fine, then it shouldn't be a problem to show me your knees. You've been compensating the pain. I can see it."

"I'll let you know if it happens again, but I am okay."

"I am legally restricted of searching for wounds if the patient does not consent." Doctor Green stated, exchanging a look with the boys. 

With that, Silas lifted me in his arms and whispered, "Sorry, Sang". Victor appeared and rolled the bottom of my pants up past my kneecaps, the fire in his eyes ignited. 

"Shit" Gabriel's teeth gritted. 

"That is without a doubt, infected." Kota looked at me with sympathetic eyes. "Looks like you rubbed acid all over it."

Doctor Green began disinfecting my knees. I didn't even flinch as it stung, last night was much worse. Silas rubbed the small on my back, Victor held my hand, Gabriel was massaging my scalp, and the rest were all sitting around me. My friends made me feel loved, that was more than my own mother could do. Doctor Green's hands were soft and gentle as he worked. It was distracting being the center of all this touching. My Mother would have a fit if she saw me right now. I was completely honest with them, explaining my mother, the punishments like lemon and salt, everything. 

It was not until the end-of-school bell rang that I noticed how much time had passed. Doctor Green assured me that my mother would not be notified on my class absences. I wasn't sure how he could do that, but he seemed to have a sense of power in this school. The boys wanted me to live with them, but I refused. doctor Green mentioned something about The Academy and having to call on favors. What what that? I silenced my unanswered questions and took a mental note to ask another day. It was decided that there would not be a moment I was home without one of the boys to protect me, they would all take shifts. I felt so guilty, the boys had other things to do like homework and jujitsu... Maybe even The Academy?

I managed to sneak into my bedroom, unnoticed. I opened my window so Victor could get inside. Just seconds later my mother belted "Sang!"

"Stay here." I whispered to Victor, heading for the door. 

"If she tries anything, I'm coming down." Victor's voice was the darkest I had ever heard it. 

I rushed down the stairs, quietly. My mother was about to call my name again when she saw me. "Yes?" I asked softly.

"Is your room clean?" Her eyes were glossy, the TV was on in her bedroom. 

This was a little game we played. I had to say the right thing. It couldn't be too perfect or overly wrong and I only offered the minimum of explanation. "Almost."

"Go. Don't come out of your room until it's spotless."

I walked away, releasing a sigh. That should buy us a couple hours.