Empty Hands

My eyes flitted open, the room was familiar but I couldn't bring myself to remember it. What happened? The sun was bright, I had to be late for school. I sat up, with my feet hanging off the bed and stood on the floor. crippling aches consumed my body. My breathing was shallow, knees were shaky, and I was quite light-headed. I glanced at a full body mirror, this was the first time I'd stop to look a myself in weeks. Gabriel always took care of my hair and outfits. Flashbacks of my mother beating me raced through my mind. My body was covered in purple, green, and blue bruises. I had a few patched or stitched gashes. The only part of me left untouched was my face. I felt ugly looking in the mirror. I was this pale, broken girl, not even loved by her own mother. My body was not strong enough to hold me, I collapsed. Viewing It from this angle I finally realized this was Kota's bedroom.

"Aggele Mou?" Silas saw me on the floor, and lifted me back to the bed. "You're so quiet, I thought at least one of us would have heard when you woke up."

The others filed in, including Doctor Green. Nathan's eyes looked like he had been crying, Gabriel and Kota looked like they hadn't slept, Victor looked guilty, North seemed furious, and Luke was nervously eating donuts.

Even Doctor Green did not keep his professionalism, "Don't swarm Sang with questions, but I will allow you all to give her a gentle hug if she is comfortable with that."

All I could think of was the hug my mother had never given me. How she manipulated me with her fake affection.

"Maybe later," Victor suggested.

They could all read my facial expression. I did not want to hurt them with rejection. Logically, I knew I was safe but my body was unable to grasp there was no danger anymore. At least, I didn't think so. What if they were all waiting to do something to me? Did they hide a wrench, too? I searched their hands and stopped on Luke's, his were behind his back. Gabriel's were too. Did they have something?

"Hands." I announced. At first, they glanced around as if asking what I meant.

Kota understood, "Show Sang your hands." There was a softness to this command. He held his arms in front of him, the others followed.

"I'm sorry." Tears streamed down my cheeks. They were all empty, I felt horrible for even considering they would attempt to hurt me. "You saved me. you've been saving me. I don't know why I'd think..."

"Sang, we are not blaming you. There's nothing wrong with being cautious." Doctor Green paused. "Is that how it started? Please try going over every detail you remember. If you get too overwhelmed at any point, you can stop."

I left nothing out. I paused a few times to breathe, they all took turns holding my hand. Their movements were slow, and they said what they were going to do before they acted on it. I was completely vulnerable with them, I hated this feeling. I didn't want to abuse their kindness. When could I start helping them instead? We had discussed next steps. I would not be going home. They would not elaborate but they assured me my mother would not call the police on me to look further into my situation. Academy business.

"One last thing, there are a few more..." Doctor Green cleared his throat. "Bruises I must check. It would be best if that were to happen in private."

"Oy, are you talking about the one near her boobs? No fair. Let me check it out instead." Gabriel held a playful tone, but was not joking. I looked down, realizing I was in a baggy, deep blue polo shirt. I was going to ask whose it was, but it smelt like Nathan's spice. I knew already. It felt awkward being around them as they debated who would get a closer look at my chest. As if I should not be in the room during the discussion about my own body.

"I am the doctor, it is my job." Doctor Green decided.