Detention

I didn't have time to finish my homework. My mother caught me locking and unlocking the door repeatedly and forced me to stand there for the rest of the night.

"Sang, you okay?" Victor's fire eyes questioned. I blamed it on today being a Monday. Ever since the boys found out, they've been watching my every move. It was nice to be cared for, but I hated putting all this pressure on them. It was too early for school, I raised my hand. 

"Yes, Ms. Sorenson?" The teacher answered. 

"May I use the restroom?"

"Go on."

I made my way out the door, using my sleeve to turn the handle. I often used my clothing as a barrier from bacteria. I took a step deeper into the hallway when something felt... off. My head was whispering to me, 

You need to open the door again. Open and close it. Do it. Open the door. Victor will die if you don't. His death will be in your hands. 

I did as the voice said, opening and closing it. I got to eight times before my teacher commented, "Sang? I'd hope you're mature enough to  move on and stop disrupting the class". I didn't know what to say. I needed to do it four more times, I couldn't stop there. I was almost at twelve so, I continued with the door. The creaking from the door's motion filled the silence. "Ms. Sorenson, I will not repeat myself. Do I need to have a talk with your mother?"

One more time, just one more. If you stop, you'll just have to do it all over again.

Victor rose from his seat, making a point to drag his chair obnoxiously against the floor. "She was just waiting for me. I have to go as well". The teacher raised his brow in question, but Victor continued, "Unless, you want me to pee right here. I mean, I'm sure the girls won't mind." He adjusted his pants. 

"N-no need for that, Victor. Go. Don't bother coming back to class as I'm sure you'll have enough to talk about with the principal at detention. Both of you." The teacher clarified. 

Victor and I strolled around the halls, in that moment, I was not scared. I wasn't thinking of what my mom would do if she found out I had detention. I was solely looking at Victor in adoration as he saved me from embarrassment. "Thank you."

"You're one of us now, I wouldn't let you get detention by yourself. Without me, you'd be bored to death." 

Principal Hendricks greeted us with a glare, "A boy and a girl, I can only assume you were caught in an  unacceptable manner. Were you found at the back of the library?" I chocked at his assumption, my cheeks felt hot as I looked at Victor. I had never thought of anything like that with anyone. What if Kota, Luke, or any of the boys tried kissing me, would I want to? 

Victor cleared his throat. "This respectable, young, lady was holding the door for me as I left for class. I was the one causing disruption". He talked with a sense of authority to Principal Hendricks, explaining all of it. However, not mentioning my impulses with the classroom door. the meeting ended with the principal bringing up Doctor Green. He knew him? I wondered how many secrets the boys were keeping from me. I had been so open with them, have they done the same to me? 

I ate lunch with the boys. My friends. We all sat at our recently claimed picnic table outside. The weather was boiling hot, but that meant we had more room to ourselves. Luke was standing behind me, twisting my hair the same way he always did. Gabriel was trying to fix Luke's mess he made with my blonde strands. Kota brought me to his lap, Victor was holding my hand. I was slowly getting used to their constant and comforting touches. Silas and North were at the vending machines, buying us all food to share. Greg had left me alone, he must have found seven guys shadowing me quite intimidating. I don't blame him. 

A wet package slapped against my face. "Hey, Nathan!" 

"What? You gotta eat." He replied with his mouth full. 

"Why is the chip bag wet?"

"... I licked it, just for you." He laughed. They all laughed. I really wanted to find it funny, I could see his intention. My mind filled with worries.

was he sick? The mouth holds more bacteria inside it, than there are people in the world. I can feel the germs just settling into my skin. No. No. No. 

I was snapped out of my haze when a colder sensation rubbed my cheek. Kota was lathering a gentle layer of hand sanitizer on the spot. Some would find that weird. But it warmed my heart. Kota always knew what to do.