4

IT DIDNT take me long to settle into what would be my room for the summer. For a house that wasn't lived in for most of the year, you could tell Susannah really tried her hardest to make sure it still felt like a home.  It was nestled between the boys rooms and I was glad I didn't have to share. Not that I didn't have to but the anxiety that came with the thought of Belly arriving and having to give up her room and share not just that but the boys too was something I couldn't shake.

Sometimes, when the boys got back from their summers at cousins I couldn't help but wonder if they talked about me to Belly. Did they tell her all the cool stuff we did during the winter like they always told me how their summers went?

"It's nice huh?" Conrad leaned against the door frame his arms crossed a crossed his broad chest "We usually only use it if someone visits for a few days. It's nice to see some life in it."

"It's really nice Con, I really can't thank you guys enough for doing all this and letting me come." Closing the last drawer of the dresser I stood to my full height before leaning against it, mocking him and crossing my arms across my chest "When's Belly and Steven getting here?"

Those damn eyes of his always calculating and intense enough to look into my soul made me squirm as he zeroed in on me for the first time since we'd arrived. Maybe we weren't going to the beach today? I hadn't meant any harm in buying my bathing suit on before Belly got here. I was just excited.

"They'll be here soon." He squints again, this time eyeing my face "Did you put makeup on?"

"I just wanted to make a good impression."

"You need makeup to do that?" He frowns a little "Planning on sneaking off and finding your very own Cousins beach fling?" He taunts, those eyes of his were watching me, waiting for my reaction.

I don't know why it made my heart drop the way it did, or why that little voice in the back of my head agreed with him but it did. Maybe I was trying too hard, maybe he was right.

"You're such an ass sometimes Conrad."  Pushing off the dresser I can't help but shake my head. "So utterly unbelievable sometimes." I step around him, my arms brushing against his side as I make my way into the hallway "Maybe I should find a Cousins Beach fling I'm sure they'd like it." I snapped, making my way downstairs and toward the kitchen

"Cause that's what you need Lennox! Always need a boy fawning over you huh?" I didn't expect him to follow me down the steps glaring at the back of my head as I sat next to Jeremiah

"What's your issue man?" Jeremiah eyes the two of us, pushing his sunglasses up into his hair, nodding a little at my attire "Belly's almost here then we can go to the beach."

"He thinks I'm trying to find a cousins beach fling. Is that even a thing?" Snagging the sweet teas pitcher I pour myself a glass

"It's very much a thing Len, last summer I had three." He eyes Conrad a little "Connie here told everyone he had a girlfriend back home and that was before Aubrey." He hums a little standing up

"I did not tell people that Jeremiah."

"Yeah, okay man."

It was odd, when Conrad was this intense. Little things would send him into this spiral. The usual kind eyed kid would snap into this person that found an issue with anything and everything. Sometimes, at school or during fall break he'd get like this. He'd snap and apologize but still have that assertive edge about him. This last break, I stayed with the Fishers while my parents were away in London for business and Conrad was on my ass just like this, asking who I was hanging out with and why I was doing certain things. He absolutely sucked at communicating sometimes and it always threw me for a loop.

A car horn broke the three of us up, a smile came onto Jeremiah's face and that little spark in Conrad's eyes got brighter. Belly was here.

Jeremiah grins practically racing Conrad to the door "Long time no see!" He calls out making his way to Belly

I stood back, leaning against the pillar on the porch taking everything in. I could tell, even as an outsider how close these two families were and how much they valued one another and god, Belly was beautiful in the type of way that she didn't even have to try.

"Steven this is Lennox! You can call her Len, Lennie or just Lennox. Can't call her nox though. That's Conrad's thing." Jeremiah rambles, an excited look on his face

"Hi Steven." I smiles softly offering out my hand

The boy grins, pushing my hand away and pulling me into a hung "Well if it isn't THE Lennox." He teases "These two never shut up about you. I see why now, you're even prettier in person."

I can't help but let out a giggle, my cheeks red and hot "Nice to finally meet THE Steven Conklin." I tease back grinning

The sound of someone clearing their throat pulls us away from eachother

"Lennox this is Belly, Belly this is Lennox." Conrad nods at the two of us

Her cheeks are flushed and she's holding his hand when I finally look over "Hi Belly, it's so great to finally meet you." I smile softly my own heart in my throat as I open my arms for a hug.

Conrad drops her hand right before she reciprocates my hug "I'm so excited to have another girl this summer!" Though I'm not quite sure how genuine she is, I take it with a grain of salt

"I'm so happy to be here." I give her a grin pulling away wanting nothing more than to hide

"So the beach?"