15

"Lennox," Steven sand as he sprawled across my bed "I need your help."

I can't help but eye the older boy as he made himself comfortable, stuffing a bookmark between the pages of my beat up copy of Twilight I smile "With?'

"I need to come up with a way to properly ask Shayla to the deb ball," Steven admitted. "I mean, we've already agreed to go together, but I want it to be special, you know?"

I couldn't help but smile at his sincerity. "Of course, I get it. She's a special girl." I wouldn't call Shayla a friend, but I wouldn't call her a stranger either. Every time we had interacted she had been nothing but kind to me.

Steven nodded, his dark hair flopping in agreement. "Exactly. And Jeremiah said you're good at this kind of thing because you read too many romance books."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Jeremiah talks too much." But his words made me feel a little warm inside, like maybe my love for those books could be put to good use. I had never really got to experience a great romance like the ones I read about, but Jeremiah was right, I had consumed enough romance novels in the last few years that I could spew off romantic gestures without much thought at this point.

Steven scratched the back of his head, looking a bit sheepish. "I was thinking of asking her out on a date, like a casual hangout. Then, maybe, when we're having ice cream, I'll ask her."

I nodded in approval. "That's a good start. The ice cream part is cute. What else?"

Steven grinned, clearly already having thought about this "Well, I thought we could go to the ice cream shop in town, you know, the one that's famous for its sundaes."

I nodded, my own mind wandering to the day Conrad had taken me to the shop, how good the ice cream was and how good it felt to just be in his presence "Sounds great. And then?"

He hesitated, as if searching for the right words.. "After that I'm not sure. I just want to make it special, I want her to know I'm really interested in her you know? She's just so.. Shayla and I'm so... Steven."

I couldnt help but smile softly at the older boy "Steven, she wouldnt have asked you to be her escort if she didnt like that you were so.. Steven." I mimic him shaking my head "You could take her to the beach after? Spend some more time one on one and then ask? Let her feel seen, ask her about her life during the year, she's from the city and is always busy with industry stuff right? I'm sure she doesn't get to have such casual conversations that often."

Steven listened intently, his eyes lighting up as he absorbed my suggestions. "That's actually a great idea, Lennox. "

I nodded, feeling a sense of warmth in helping Steven plan something special for Shayla. It was clear that he genuinely cared about making a good impression, and that was endearing. "And you know," I added with a mischievous grin, "you could always bring her a small gift, like flowers or chocolates. Chivalry never hurt anyone."

Steven laughed, a hint of color tinging his cheeks. "You really are good at this, Lennox."

I shrugged, my cheeks reddening slightly in response. "Just call it the result of too many romance novels. But hey, they must be onto something, right?"

Steven chuckled, sitting up from the bed. "Right. Thanks, Lennox. I feel a lot better about this now."

I smiled warmly, feeling like I had just made a new friend. "You're welcome, Steven. I hope it all goes well with Shayla - she really is great, you are too don't doubt yourself."

As he made his way towards the door, he turned back and gave me a grateful smile. "I'll let you know how it goes."

I nodded, feeling a sense of satisfaction in helping someone else with their budding romance. "I'll be waiting for the update."