30

THE  rain came pouring down as I sat on the porch, watching the sky. Each drop raced to the earth, creating a mesmerizing symphony of nature's percussion. I leaned back in the porch swing, letting the gentle patter of the rain soothe my soul.

As I listened to the rain, my thoughts drifted to Conrad. I had been replaying every moment we had shared over the last few weeks, each memory etching itself deeper into my heart.

"Hey, Nox," a familiar voice called from behind.

I turned to find Conrad approaching, a relaxed smile on his face. His presence alone was enough to brighten the dreary day.

He joined me on the porch, his arms wrapping around me and pulling me gently against his side. The sound of the rain on the roof created a calming backdrop to our togetherness.

"Hey," I said, leaning into him. "I love the rain."

Conrad placed a soft kiss on my forehead. "Me too."

We sat there for a while, taking in the peaceful moment. There was no need for words; our connection transcended language. But eventually, he broke the silence.

"Lennox, can I be honest with you?"

I looked up at him, my curiosity piqued. "Of course."

His eyes held a warmth and sincerity that made my heart flutter. "I can't stop thinking about last night. It was perfect, being with you."

A contented smile crept onto my lips. "It was incredible, Conrad. I couldn't have asked for a better date."

His fingers trailed along my cheek. "Me neither. I know we said it last night, but I'm really glad you're in my life, Nox."

A wave of emotion washed over me, and I couldn't hold back a soft laugh. "I'm glad you're in my life too, Conrad."

He picked up the book I had discarded on the side table, running his fingers over the pages. "This rain feels like the perfect backdrop for some cozy reading, don't you think?"

I nodded, my heart brimming with affection for this sweet, thoughtful man. "Definitely."

He handed me the book, and I opened it to where I had left off. The rain continued to fall around us, but in that moment, I felt nothing but warmth and contentment. As I read the words, I realized that my story with Conrad was still unfolding, and I couldn't wait to see where the next chapter would take us.

I continued to read, my fingers gently playing with strands of Conrad's hair as the words on the pages filled the air around us. The soft pattering of rain on the porch roof accompanied my voice as I read, making the story come alive.

But after a while, I felt my eyelids growing heavy. The cozy ambiance of the rain, the warmth of Conrad beside me, and the soothing act of reading had lulled me into a sense of comfort. A soft yawn escaped my lips, and I couldn't help but smile.

Conrad looked at me, a fond expression in his eyes. "Tired, Nox?"

I nodded, the fatigue from the previous day and the calm of the moment catching up to me. "Yeah, I guess I am. But I don't want to leave this porch."

Conrad gently took the book from my hands and placed it on the side table. Then, he shifted so that I could rest my head on his chest, his arms wrapping around me. The steady beat of his heart beneath my ear was like a lullaby, and I felt my eyes growing heavier.

"It's okay," he whispered softly. "You can rest. I'm here."

I snuggled closer, my worries melting away. As the rain continued to fall, I let myself drift into a peaceful slumber, wrapped in the warmth of Conrad's embrace.