14

I was hiding on the beach—or fine, maybe it was more like escaping the chaotic confines of the summer house for a few precious hours. The boy's were all off today and had simply been boys since the moment we all opened our eyes, this had been one of the first times they had all been in the house all day without any other commitments or cares and they were one hundred percent taking advantage of it. They hadn't made their way down to the beach yet so I knew, there amongst the sound of the waves and the bright sun I'd be able to clear my mind - even if it was just for a few minutes.

I had grabbed a worn blanket from the house and settled myself under the shade of a large umbrella, the sound of the waves providing a soothing backdrop to my thoughts. I had my journal open in front of me, my pen moved across the paper in small bursts as I try to capture the thoughts that had been swirling in my mind and the moments that had happened so far during my stay at Cousins. The gentle breeze ruffled the pages, and I took a deep breath, allowing the salty air to clear my thoughts. Jeremiah had been in on this escape plan, and I knew he'd show up eventually. True to his word, he appeared with a mischievous grin, his sandy hair ruffled by the ocean breeze.

"How's your escape been, Lennie?" he asked as he plopped down beside me, his lanky frame folding onto the sand.

"Hey, Jere," I greeted him with a smile, closing my journal and using my my fingers to trace patterns in the sand. "Eaxactly what I needed"

He chuckled, understanding my sentiment all too well. "I know what you mean. Sometimes these guys are like an unruly pack of puppies on caffeine."

I laughed, nodding in agreement. "Exactly. " I eye him for a moment, squinting "You are one of the guys Jere."

Jeremiah laughs, his blue eyes brightening "That's exactly how I know Lennie."

We sat in companionable silence for a moment, watching the waves dance along the shore. Just as I thought our moment of solitude would stretch on, the sand stirred nearby, and I turned my head to see a newcomer making his way toward us.

"Liam!" Jeremiah exclaimed, his grin widening as he stood up to greet the approaching figure.

I watched as a boy, tall and confident, ambled over. His sandy hair was ruffled by the sea breeze, and his easy smile exuded a kind of charm that was hard to ignore.

"Hey, Jeremiah!" Liam's voice held a cheerful lilt, and he clapped a hand on Jeremiah's shoulder.

Liam's eyes shifted to me, and his grin widened. "And who's this lovely lady?"

My cheeks warmed under his gaze, and I managed a small smile. "Lennox."

"Lennox," he repeated, as if savoring the sound of my name. "I like that. Mind if I join you?"

Jeremiah exchanged a glance with me, a silent question passing between us. I nodded, albeit hesitantly, and he stepped aside to make room for Liam.

"So, Lennox, you're not a regular around here, are you?" Liam asked, his eyes dancing with curiosity.

"Not really," I admitted, my gaze fixed on the waves. "Just spending the summer."

"Nice to formally meet you, Lennox." His tone was playful, as he leaned closer to me "So, are you excited for the deb ball?" Liam asked, his voice dripping with interest.

I offered a small shrug, trying to convey an air of nonchalance. "Yeah, it should be interesting."

"Interesting is one word for it," he quipped with a smirk. "I've heard it can be quite the event."

Jeremiah shot me a knowing glance, but I wasn't sure what to make of Liam's flirty banter. The idea of debuting at the ball had never bothered me; it was more the lingering unease from Belly's words that I couldn't shake.