8

THE bruise covering my temple wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be, I could cover it up with concealer if I really wanted to but between the pain of my headache and the slight throb it had had whenever I touched it I decided it could wait until later.

"Do we really have to physically sit for our portraits? Can't she just, like, look at a picture on her phone or something?" Jeremiah stands over the stove making himself an egg Steven hovering close behind him

"Trying to learn the art of the craft Steven?" I tease grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge

Steven smiles at me shaking his head "Learn something from Jeremiah? Yeah right."

"She needs to see you in the flesh in order to capture your essence." Laurel trails off focussed on her laptop "While you're still young and full of hope."

"I think it's sweet" I hum taking a seat beside the older woman

"Maybe it'd be sweet if everyone had hope, but you see Conrad, he's hopeless." He grins sliding me a cup of green mush and a browned piece of bread "But my hangover smoothie... it cures all."

The smoothie looks atrocious and the green hue has my stomach churning as Steven and Jeremiah banter back and forth. It's Jeremiah turning the blender on that has me fleeing from the loud kitchen and into the living room

"He's doing it on purpose." Conrad mumbles his eyes searching my face holding a hand to his head "his way of getting back at me."

"Get back at you?" I lift his feet getting comfortable on the softer couch

"For the fight." He adjusts himself, accommodating for the space I'm taking up "He was a dick about it after I helped you get in bed last night." his eyes meet mine "Bruise doesn't look too bad." he says softly "Does it hurt?"

"No worse than your headaches gotta be."I tease

"Please nox, you're no better." He takes the green concoction from his brother's hand as he sits up "What are your plans today?"

"Absolutely nothing, I'm spending it in my room with a book until I feel better."

"Actually, we've got some shopping to do today." Susannah smiles as she takes a seat at the bar "Deb season is officially starting."

"That sounds expensive." Laurel eyes her friend sighing

"Don't worry about it, Laur. It's on me. It was my idea after all, and we still need to style you for your book party, so..." Susannah hums turning to face all of us "Speaking of the ball, who's taking Belly and who's taking Lennox?"

Conrad scoffs his eyes moving from Bellys to mine "Not me. I went last year."

Jeremiah nods "I'm out too. I swore off balls."

"Wow, guys stop fighting over me." Belly laughs shaking her head "Um, I'm not going with either of you. I am going to find my own date."

"What will Lennox do? You boys are the only ones she knows in cousins."

I shrug softly "I'm sure I can find someone too Susannah." I smile optimistically at the woman "It shouldn't be too hard right?"

Susannah just nods softly her eyes lingering on Conrad and me before she starts chatting with Laurel about everything she has planned for her book launch party

"I'm going for a swim." Conrad huffs, leaving his empty glass on the table and stalking out of the living room.

SHOPPING with Belly, Laurel, and Susannah was far more fun than I could have expected. Belly and I had spent hours in and out of fitting rooms giggling at the ridiculous things Susannah had us try on. It felt like we had been trying on white fluffy dresses for days before we both found something that Susannah thought looked great on us and showcased what debbing in Cousins was. I couldn't complain, the white dress I had left with was stunning and it had me more than excited to get home and show Conrad, and call my mom. I had sent her pictures throughout the day but I was still excited to hear her voice and see her face, whileI had only been in Cousins for a few days I hadn't seen my mom in nearly a month and I couldn't help but miss her.