chapter one

"An exhibit mom, seriously?" I complained.

I had already finished packing for our annual trip to Cousins when my mom mentioned that she wouldn't be able to take us this year.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, you know how important it is for me to sell my work this year." She apologized.

"I know, I know. I was just really excited to go to Cousins this year, that's all." I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"Who says you aren't going to Cousins?" She asked. My eyes widened, a smile lighting up my face. "You're gonna miss the exhibit?" I asked eagerly.

"No of course not. I was thinking that maybe...you and your brother could drive up on your own and stay with Laurel and Susannah." I clapped my hands excitedly as the words left her mouth.

"Really? Thank you mom, thank you!" I ran over, hugging her tightly.

"I already asked Reign and he said yes." My mom replied, hugging me back.

"Summer with no parental supervision, score." I whispered to myself. "Wait just a second, you better not cause any trouble for Laurel and Susannah. I'm serious Bri or I'll drag you back here myself." She warned.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll behave, I promise." I smiled, running up to my room to prepare myself for the upcoming trip.

Every summer my family would drive up to Cousins to hangout with the Fisher's and Conklin's. My mom is bestfriends with Laurel and Susannah, so it's no surprise that she is leaving my brother and I in their hands.

However, unlike the other two families, we've only been going for the past seven years. So Reign and I first met the Fisher's and Conklin's when I was around ten years old.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I shouted. Reign walked in with a goofy smile on his face. I jumped out of my bed, giggling like a schoolgirl. We began chanting "no parents" as we danced around the room.

"Brianna, Reign!" My mom yelled.

We looked at each other for a moment before quieting down our chants and whispering.

"This summer is going to be so much fun." I told the boy with a grin. "Tell me about it, I can't wait to go to the beach and flirt with all the hot girls." He smirked, before walking out of my room.

"Gross Reign." I groaned, successfully throwing a pillow at his head. "Mom, Bri is hitting me!" I heard my brother complain outside the door.

I rolled my eyes, going over my suitcase one last time.

Cousins here I come.

~

"You have your keys?" My mom asked. "Yes mom." Reign replied annoyed. "First aid kit in the tool box just in case?" She asked again.

"Mom we have everything, I promise." I reassured her.

"Oh, you guys are growing up so fast. Reign you better drive carefully and both of you call me if anything happens, alright?" She pulled us into a tight hug.

"I love you both so much." "We love you too mom."

She waved goodbye to us as we got inside the car and began to drive off. I quickly grabbed the aux cord, plugging it into my phone.

"Fine whatever, but it's my turn when we drive back." Reign said, pointing a finger at my accusingly. "Sure." I whispered, tapping on spotify and playing my road trip playlist.

"One Direction, really?" He questioned. "You should know me by now." Was all I said before belting out the lyrics to Drag Me Down.

It wasn't long before I noticed my brother mouthing the words as well.

It was about a two hour drive from Hudson to Cousins, maybe less if we didn't stop to get snacks along the way.

"Alright and we're here." Reign announced as we pulled up to the familiar beach house. As we got out of the car we noticed laughing and loud splashing sounds coming from the backyard.

"Guess we're the last to arrive." Reign grinned, opening the truck so we could get our luggage out.

"Yeah, if it wasn't for your slow ass driving maybe we would have arrived earlier." I teased, walking over to grab my suitcase. "I don't drive slow." I heard him whisper to himself.

"Like a grandma!" I yelled out as I brought my suitcases to the front door and rang the doorbell.

It quickly opened to reveal Laurel and Susannah. "Oh my gosh! Brianna and Reign, come in come in!" We walked in smiling, dropping our suitcases on the floor.

"Come here you beautiful babies!" Susannah cheered, pulling us both into a hug.

Laurel quickly joined in and we laughed as the two mothers smothered us.

"I'm going to take our bags upstairs okay." Reign insisted and grabbed our stuff. "Brianna, sweetheart. Your hair, you, look at you!" Laurel complimented.

"Yeah, I decided to grow it out." I told both of them. For as long as I can remember my hair was cut short and always just above my shoulders.

This year I decided to grow it out, thanks to my mom and her amazing genes, my hair grew quickly and was now a few inches above my waist. I learned how to take care of it as well, so instead of being frizzy it now had waves and much more volume.

"Look at you as well! Where has all the baby fat gone?" Susannah pouted, squishing my cheeks.

I laughed, shaking my head. "No idea." I smiled.

"Alright, we'll stop hogging you. The kids are in the backyard, I'm sure they'll be just as excited to see you two." Laurel said as Reign came back down the stairs. 

"First one there is the better sibling!" My brother yelled out as he ran passed me to go outside. "Not fair, you got a head start." I complained, running behind him.

word count: 1009
Hope you enjoyed the first chapter of this story, there are many more to come! Like always, please vote and comment for support! Love you all!🤍