chapter twenty four

song: till forever falls apart - ashe, FINNEAS

Everything seemed to calm down once we got back in the car. I found myself smiling as I sang along to the music.

Any lingering thoughts had finally dissipated and I was now admiring the scenery around me. Jeremiah's hand had once again found its way into mine.

I smiled to myself as I felt our silver bands clink.

-

The car was silent as we began nearing the beach house.

I could tell the nerves were starting to build up, not just for me, but for everyone. Once we got there, Jeremiah immediately made his way inside, not waiting for either of us. "Connie, you here man?" Belly and I looked at each other as Jeremiah yelled for the boy.

I was silently hoping the boy was here and that we didn't just drive all this way for nothing. My palms began to sweat. I hadn't see Conrad in so long, I couldn't help but be nervous.

I was the second one to go in, which was understandable considering what Belly and Conrad had been through.

"When I call you, you pick up your fucking phone." I winced at the anger in Jeremiah's voice, it felt wrong for it to have that tone. "Jere, the house has been put up for sale." I had finally turned the corner and my eyes met with Conrad's.

*flashback*

I was holding Jeremiah tightly in my arms as he sobbed. Running my fingers through his hair as his tears soaked my sweater.

"It's going to be okay." I whispered to him, trying to get the boy to calm down. My body shook with uncertainty at the recent events, it had all happened so fast.

Susannah had passed away a few days ago and it had completely wrecked Jere. I fought my hardest to not let my emotions grab hold of me.

I needed to be here for Jeremiah.

I blinked away my tears, not wanting him to see me upset in fear that it would worsen his state.

"I-I can't believe she's gone." He stuttered as sobs wracked through his chest. "Shh it's going to be okay. I'm right here, we're going to get through this baby." I tried my best to soothe him but I was distracted by my phone vibrating from under me.

I carefully pulled it out, bringing it to my view.

It was Conrad.

He was calling me.

I stared at the vibrating phone for a good minute before deciding to ignore it and pressing the big red end button. I had to be here from Jeremiah right now. I was all he had.

*back to present*

Conrad's eyes met mine and they were filled with so much emotion.

I was brought back into reality when Belly said, "What do you mean the house is for sale?" Conrad's body stilled as he turned to meet Belly.

"What is she doing here?" His voice sounded hesitant. Jeremiah ignored Conrad's question and immediately asked about the selling of the house. "If your dad's not selling it then who is?" I asked.

It was as if my voice had reminded Conrad that I was here as well.

"Our Aunt Julia is. Apparently the house belonged to both of them." His voice sounded pained. I wrapped my arms around my body, closing in on myself.

"Well dad can just buy it, right?" Jeremiah suggested.

"He doesn't have the money to buy it. Between Brown and the medical bills.." Conrad began but Jeremiah quickly cut him off. "Yeah I know how much the medical bills cost, I was there. How long were you going to keep this from me?" He retorted angrily.

"I was going to tell you after I had it handled." Conrad replied in a much quieter tone.

"This is you handling it. Going AWOL and ditching school." The situation was escalating far too much for my liking. "Fuck school." I ran a hand through my hair.

"Con how are you going to become a doctor if you fail your classes." I said loudly, staring at the boy. "You have no idea what you're talking about." He turned, pointing a finger at me accusingly.

My mouth parted but before I could speak, Jeremiah spoke up.

"Seriously? The three of us went to Brown to check on your ass. You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself." Jeremiah said angrily before turning to walk out, slamming the door after him.

I watched as Jere ran out and then moved my gaze back to Conrad.

His eyes pleading for something but I didn't know what.

I took a deep breath before shaking my head and running after my boyfriend.

"Jere wait!" I yelled out as I followed him outside, running to catch up. "He's such an ass." Jeremiah yelled. I had to physically restrain my boyfriend from attacking an innocent tree.

"What is he even talking about with all this house selling stuff?" He paced, rubbing a hand down his face. "I think he's for real." I whispered. "Shit."

Everything was so messed up.

I turned to look back at the house, so many emotions were resurfacing. Susannah was gone. Really gone.

I thought I could ignore the feelings of grief building up inside me for the sake of Jeremiah but they were getting harder to push away. "We'll figure something out I promise. It's getting late, let's sleep on it. You'll feel better in the morning." I tried to help, running my hands down his arms.

He hooked his fingers around my arms and pulled me into his chest. "What would I do without you?" He said softly as he planted a kiss on my forehead.

-

"Morning." Jeremiah greeted Conrad as the three of us walked into the kitchen.

"Should we start thinking of a plan b?" Belly asked the boy carefully. "There's no time for a plan b. Aunt Julia is already here." We all stopped in our tracks. "Just go back to bed, I'll figure it out." Conrad said as he walked out of the kitchen.

Something with up with him and I was going to figure out what it was. There is no way we can work together to solve this issue if he was going to be acting this way.

"What's the plan then?" I turned to the other two. "We are going to pay Aunt Julia a visit." Jeremiah stated, looking at Belly who nodded.

"I, actually, think I'm going to sit this one out. I never really knew her." I said embarrassed, rubbing a hand behind my neck.

"Are you sure?" Jeremiah asked, raising an eyebrow. I nodded to which they said okay and left. I sighed, making my way into the dining room where Conrad was seated.

word count: 1118
Ahh thank you guys for reading! I'm having so much fun writing again! Don't forget to leave a vote/comment!🤍