chapter twenty five

song: people watching - conan gray

"Con..." I began slowly, taking a seat in front of him.

"What Brianna?" I winced at the harshness in his tone.

"Did I do something wrong, I'm confused?" I asked him curiously, with nothing but sincerity in my eyes. He had been acting a certain way toward me since we got here and it was finally taking its toll on me.

"Nothing at all. Why don't you go with Jeremiah and help him with whatever he needs help with?" He said not meeting my eyes. My eyes widened at his response, he had never been so harsh and indifferent toward me.

"Belly and him left awhile ago." I replied quietly, sinking into my seat.

"Where to?" He asked, suddenly interested in the conversation. No surprise there, any time Belly was brought up it was like wiggling a treat in front of a dog's face.

I decided it was best for the others to let him know when they got back so I shrugged. He didn't reply and I decided to watch him for a bit before getting up.

What was the point in having a conversation if I'm doing all the work? I sighed, begining to make my way upstairs.

"Where are you going now?" He finally spoke up. "For a swim." I answered back bluntly. I didn't know what his problem was but right now it really wasn't helping. I walked up to my room, praying that I left at least one bathing suit behind.

"Bingo." I whispered as I pulled out a simple black bikini. I changed into it, grabbing a towel and heading outside.

Tossing my things aside, I dove headfirst into the pool. It felt like time stopped as the water surrounded me and just like that I calmed down. Things were changing and I didn't like that one bit.

*flashback*

"How is your dad going to pay for all this?" I sighed, as I looked down at the medical bills that were thrown across the dining table.

"Question of the ages. We need to sort these out, so it'll be easier to get through once the due date comes." He instructed as I began to help him going through the stacks of paper.

My phone began vibrating and I looked down to see Conrad's contact come up.

I guess I was staring at it for awhile that I didn't notice Jeremiah calling me.

"Bri can you help me look through these?" I looked up at him before looking down and ending the incoming call. "Yeah, definitely." I smiled at the boy, helping him with anything and everything he needed.

*back to the present*

I gasped as my head resurfaced above the water.

I had so many questions and no one to ask them to. Everything would be so much easier if time stood still. I dove back under the water once again, wanting to relinquish that feeling forever.

-

I had spent most of the day swimming and I began getting worried once I realized Jeremiah and Belly still weren't back.

Trying to distract myself, I decided to take a shower and when I got out everyone was in the dining room, a phone in the middle of them. "Here, come sit down. My dad should be calling any minute now." Jeremiah said moving a seat over so I could sit by him.

I did so, taking his hand in mine and squeezing it lightly.

He sent a small smile my way and soon the phone started ringing. "Hey dad." Conrad began. "Hey Con, look I only got a few minutes." His dad said through the speaker. "Hey dad." Jeremiah mirrored his brother.

"Jere? You're in Cousins too?" I could hear his dad sigh through the phone. I looked down knowing this couldn't end well.

The phone call lasted for five minutes and it ended with the two being extremely unhappy.

"Talking to you is pointless." Jeremiah got the last word as he ended the call.

We all looked at each other sadly as the silence crept in. The door opened and I looked up to see Steven and Taylor walk in. "Surprise!" He yelled excitedly, holding up a box of pie.

We turned to him and it was clear he had just noticed the elephant in the room. "Shit, I knew we should have told them we were coming." Steven began worriedly.

"It's not that." "We're losing the house." The two boys quickly informed the other two on what was going on.

I turned to look at the wall, zoning out of the conversation. Lately, I couldn't find it in me to focus properly and I had no idea why. I was brought out of my thoughts when Steven laid a hand on my shoulder.

"You okay?" He asked. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be." I smiled at him, trying to ease his worries. "Come on, we're going to watch a movie." I followed him as he lead me to the couch where everyone was.

The movie they had put on was boring me out so I looked around the group and spotted Conrad looking at his phone before getting up and walking out.

He looked weird.

Without thinking, I got up and followed right behind him.

word count: 904
Thank you guys so much for reading! I'm trying to post as much as I can so bear with me! Don't forget to vote/comment! 🤍