chapter fourteen

"Took you long enough." Reign sighed, getting up from his seat on the couch as I walked into the house.

"Sorry I was at the club, you know..practicing" I tried to say camly. "Right. Well, our reservation is in ten minutes so we should be heading out." He said getting up to grab the keys.

"Alright." I replied, following him out of the house.

~

"Look there's two!" I called out excitedly, as I pointed at two dolphins in the water.

We were on some rented ship as it sailed out into the ocean.

"You know, I remember how you used to be obsessed with dolphins when you were younger. You would drag mom and I to these dolphins watches every summer." Reign chuckled as we both leaned on the railing.

"I still do." I laughed, smiling at my brother. "I feel like I haven't seen you all summer Bri." He finally admitted.

"What are you talking about Reign? I see you everyday." I huffed, looking at him concerned.

I knew when he was the one to ask me to go on this trip, he was going to talk to me about something. "Yeah, but you're not telling me anything anymore. You're acting like Steven's your older brother." He shot back.

I sighed knowing he was right. I was spending most of my summer here in Cousins with Steven and Jeremiah. I haven't really hung out with Conrad, Reign, or Belly.

"I'm sorry, it's just a lot is going on right now." I told him quietly.

"This is exactly what I mean, you can tell me.." Reign turned to me. "I- I have a boyfriend." Once I said that sentence, I practically saw his eyes bulge out of his head.

"You're kidding?" He replied, his mouth agape. I shook my head no, looking out into the water. "Who is it?" He added. "Jeremiah." I whispered, not really sure if I wanted him to hear. "What the actual fuck-" He dragged out, not really helping my nerves.

"It's new." I tried to defend. "What about the kid you made out with at the party?" Reign asked shocked.

"Why does everyone keeping asking about him? It was a one time thing." I responded back annoyed. "Mhm okay." Our conversation stopped for a while as we continued to look into the water, trying to spot what we could.

"Is Jeremiah..I don't know, good to you?" Reign asked me, breaking the silence. Now it was my turn to act surprised.

"You...oh my god, are you caring about me right now?" I laughed out loud, holding my stomach to try to calm myself down.

"Brianna be quiet. I'm serious." He rolled his eyes, a small smile on his face. "He's great Reign, I promise. It's Jere. You know he wouldn't do anything to hurt me." I smiled.

"Yeah, you're right." Was all he said before going quiet again. I could tell by the tone in his voice that he didn't fully believe me. I just hope I was right.

~

Once we got home, we went our separate ways. I was walking upstairs to my room when I heard a few footsteps behind me.

"Hey, let's go for a swim." I turned to see Jeremiah smiling.

"Oh, um, Laur's been on me about cleaning my room. Especially since yesterday." I told my boyfriend. "How come nobody ever wants to play with me?" He replied with a small smirk.

I laughed, walking over to the boy to wrap my arms around his neck. He immediately circled his hands around my waist.

I pecked his lips lightly. "Later, when I'm done. Okay?" I smiled, looking into his eyes.

"Promise?" He asked. "Promise." I reassured him, he leaned in to kiss my lips again and I reciprocated.

~

It was getting late and I finally finished cleaning up my room.

I went downstairs to see if Conrad needed help cleaning the kitchen.

I really need to try spending more time with everyone else for the rest of the summer. "Hey Con, need help?" I asked the boy as he was putting away snacks. "Please." He said, I nodded moving to grab some of the other food left on the isle.

"What happened here?" I laughed, looking at the chaotic mess. "Apparently my mom and Laurel, got high and got the munchies." He chuckled, putting the last of the food away.

I hopped up on the counter as he walked over to me. He put his hands on the counter next to my legs, boxing me in.

"Hey are you okay?" I looked at him. "Yeah, I'm fine." He sighed.

"You can tell me anything, you know that right?" Conrad looked up at me, searching my eyes almost to see if that was true.

"I know I can. I'm sorry I haven't been all here this summer. I missed you, everyone, it's just a lot is going on right now. My mom, she-" He was cut off, by the door closing, signaling someone had came in.

"Is that your mom?" I asked, he nodded as we went to go check.

We saw her sitting on the stairs with her eyes closed. "Susannah?" I called out as we walked over. "Mom?" Conrad followed.

She opened her eyes, looking at us smiling. "Big day today, huh?" I asked her with a chuckle. Susannah turned to me, giggling.

"Come on, let's get you upstairs." Conrad whispered, moving over to help her up. She was so totally drunk.

Once they left, I took a seat on the bottom of the steps. I had a nagging feeling in my chest about what Conrad was about to tell me, but I couldn't figure out why.

~

I went upstairs to change into my swimsuit and grab a towel.

I promised Jeremiah earlier that I would go swim with him and I intended to keep that promise. As I went downstairs, I noticed how quiet the house was.

I turned to go outside and that's when I noticed Jeremiah in the pool, but he wasn't alone.

word count: 1041
Thank you guys for reading! Sorry it took a bit longer to upload this one, I promise I'm going back to uploading 1-2 times a day! Love you! 🤍