chapter twenty seven

song: nobody compares - one direction

I woke up to the sun shining brightly through my window.

I decided I should probably get up and went downstairs to see if there was anything to eat. When I turned the corner to enter the kitchen I almost gasped.

I rubbed my eyes quickly before looking again, "Susan-" I whispered, walking forward. "Who are you?" I turned to see someone about my age. The woman at the sink turned around and I was met with the unfortunate sight of someone who wasn't Susannah.

"She's my girlfriend. Bri this is our Aunt Julia and her daughter, Skye." Jeremiah said as he and Conrad entered from the backyard.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Bri." I tried my best to send them a warm smile. "God how many people are there in this house?" My grin immediately dropped at the blunt words.

"You didn't tell me she'd be here too." Conrad whispered to his brother. "It's they not she, well I mean its been like a decade since I last saw you. Uh, how are you doing, since your mom?" Skye asked the two.

"It's been rough. Rougher now that our aunt is stealing our house." I closed my eyes tightly knowing another fight was about to begin.

It was impossible for someone to not be arguing about something in this house.

"I'm not stealing anything Conrad. Anyways, you two, and the other teenagers in this house, should get on the road, beat the traffic back to Boston." Julia began, setting up the kitchen for what I assumed to be the open house.

"We're staying for the open house." Conrad told us as he moved to stand in front of me and Jeremiah. I gave my boyfriend a pointed look before tuning back into the conversation.

"Oh no no no, I'm not having a bunch of teenagers running around. Call your dad because this isn't an Aunt Julia problem." The woman said harshly.

"Except it is, because you are the problem."

"I don't have time for this." Julia stormed off.

"Con, she's still your family." I said quietly, afraid that speaking too loudly would cause something or someone to snap. "Then why is she doing this to us?" He asked me, his voice much softer than it was a few seconds ago.

"This is hard for her too." Skye spoke up, causing me to turn my attention to them.

"Really? Cause it seems like she's doing all this pretty fucking easily." Conrad replied, before turning around and leaving. I sighed, making my way to Jeremiah.

"Well everything is going to shit." I told the boy with a groan, once we were finally alone. "Tell me about it. I seriously, don't know what I'm going to do and it's terrifying." He said running a hand through his hair.

"Well you can start by taking a shower, unless you want to be dripping pool water all over the place." I joked, bringing my hand up to mess up his hair. "Yeah, yeah." He rolled his eyes, before walking upstairs.

-

All of our heads immediately turned to the door once the bell rang.

Belly was the first one to the open the door as we all watched. I was about to go next to her when I felt Jeremiah pull me back.

We peeked through the dining room and watched the interaction. "Hi. Can I help you?" She asked the lady. "Sandy Denati. I'm looking for Julia." She said flatly. "Right, yes for the open house. You know, Julia actually decided to cancel. It's last minute but she's uhm you know having some second thoughts." The woman looked confused at Belly's response.