Chapter 3

Second year

1973

The train ride back began. Your parents hadn't been thrilled about your house, but not as upset. And over summer you and Regulus did not talk anymore, neither did you and Sirius.

You had slowly sunk into a lonely mind space. No friends at school, none at home.

Sirius didn't come to sit with you for this train ride.

Regulus didn't even spare you a look as he sits on a stool with a hat on his head.

"SLYTHERIN." It yells.

~~~<>~~~

Jumping a year in potions gave you attention from teachers; more expectations.

It did not, however, give you more attention from students.

Despite being from such a famous pure blood family; no one seemed to know you.

And despite being like Sirius in the sense you've ruined your family bloodline by betraying Slytherin house, you don't get the attention like he does at Hogwarts. Perhaps it's because he's more of a family betrayal than you are.

Or perhaps he is simply better.

~~~<>~~~

Walking around the hallways was an odd mix of calm and anxiety filling. You like it better outside.

You look down at the book in your hand, freshly checked out of the library, as you turn to your right.

You run into someone, roughly.

The book falls out of your hand and you quickly look up, "sorry!" You say.

The boy in front of you is the same one as you had seen in your first year while sitting with a sorting hat on your head.

"It's alright." He says.

You pick up your book and look back up to introduce yourself, but he's already gone.

And you don't realize how that moment changes your life.