Chapter 10

The note finally comes.

A simple letter; giving you an answer for a potions assignment.

You write back.

'How odd; I thought you had never sent a note to me?

Do not send anymore.'

Yes, his notes were so very helpful.

But you- you were spiteful.

If he would pretend he did not write notes; then you would not accept anymore.

You don't bother reading the one he had given you, simply throwing it in the fire of the common room. The flames swallow it quickly.

~~~<>~~~

Multiple notes come for the next few days. You burn all of them.

~~~<>~~~

"Miss Black." Slughorn says, walking up to you as class ends.

Most students have left already; you would have been gone by now, but had accidentally spilled your ink onto the ground and had to remember the spell to clean it up.

It's clean now.

"Yes, professor?"

"You did not answer questions 9 and 10 on the homework; I was wondering why?"

"I asked you to help me better understand, professor. You could not, I did not answer them."

"I told you of some resources that could help."

"Yes, they were already checked out of the library, unfortunately."

He frowns, "oh! What an easily solvable problem. I'll talk to Miss Pince for when the books are back and you can go ahead and check them out. When you have them, I'll give you an extra day for the assignment!"

"Thank you, professor."

"Ah of course, my dear. You know, I actually wanted to invite you to an event of mine. It's for the Slugclub. Oh I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but tonight at 8:00, just come down to my office and you can see if you'd like to join the club."

"I'd love to come, but unfortunately I have prefect duties."

He frowns, "well what time?"

"9:00 p.m., sir."

"Oh! Perfect! Just come for a little bit then, you don't need to stay for long!"

"I'll consider it, sir."

He smiles, "wonderful. I'll hope to see you then, you're a great student, Miss Black. I'm expecting you to do great things."

You give him one last smile before walking out of the classroom.

~~~<>~~~

The library is meant to give you peace. It's 3 hours before dinner.

"You ignored the note?"

Riddle.

"What note?" You ask, looking up at him from your place on the ground.

"The note I sent. Three nights ago. For the potions assignment, you ignored it."

"How odd. I never got a note. Maybe I missed it."

His eyes narrow, "and yet I got a reply from you?"

"A reply? From me to you? Are you sure? I never sent you a note. I had very important things to do last night; no time to send notes."

"If I-" he pauses, "apologized... would you no longer ignore my notes?"

You laugh and then stare at him. "Wait... You're serious? Really? Go on, then."

"I am... sorry."

"For?"

A deep breath, "for pretending I never sent notes."

"And?"

"And? I did nothing else."

"You embarrassed me."

"I am sorry for that as well, then."

"Good. I accept your apology."

Silence.

"Did you need something else?" You ask.

He hesitates, but shakes his head. "No."