SS. 12 - Shiina Hiyori: Book Buddies

"So, how do you like the books I gave you, Ayanokouji-kun?"

Ayanokouji-kun and I met by complete chance.

I was wandering around the cruise ship library, that I initially thought was empty. It had been a few days since the first special exam had ended, and a new special exam had taken place.

I had stopped at the mystery section to look at some books. A certain book caught my eye. Wuthering Heights. The cover was really well illustrated, although I never particularly liked or disliked the author. I tried to grab the book from the shelf. Since there were no stepstool in the library, I struggled to do so.

Before I knew it, Ayanokouji-kun walked over and helped me take the book off the shelf.

"This one is really interesting. The author has a unique style of writing and it's quite intriguing to read it. You've got good taste."

William Irish, Ellery Queen, Lawrence Block, and Isaac Asimov. Those were some of my favorite authors. I was happy to hear that Ayanokouji-kun out of all people shared the same taste. I laughed to myself.

"Is it something I said?"

"No, don't worry, it's nothing about you, Ayanokouji-kun. I'm just so happy that I found someone who likes books like I do. And I never would've thought that person would be you, the one they call the Masterpiece of the White Room. I'm book buddies with the Ayanokouji Kiyotaka!"

"Book buddies?"

"Yeah, book buddies, reading buddies, whatever you want to call it. I'm just so happy to be able to talk about books with someone like you!"

I had finally met someone that shares the same passion as me. I felt happy. There was a warm feeling in my heart.

"Do you have any friends, Shiina?"

"Friends? Well I guess I do, but none of them like books like you do! You're my first and fellow book buddy!"

"I suppose you're my fellow book buddy too, Shiina."

I had finally made a friend with similar interests.

A part of me thought these actions were not like me, while the other part was extremely excited towards this development.

I've always appeared as a loner in my class. I never fit in. I've always been quiet and reserved. Nobody in Class C is into literature. I never had anyone to talk to about the novels I was reading. I loved books, I loved them to the point that when I met Ayanokouji-kun, I didn't even notice that I had become overly and excitedly talkative until the conversation had almost ended. I became enthusiastic and cheerful for the first time in a very long time, which I thought was unlike me.

Even though I was quite happy being alone, I also felt a sense of loneliness every once in a while. Perhaps I wanted to establish friendship with someone. Someone that loved books like I do. Or at least, someone to whom I could talk to about books.

I had always carried books in my bag, in case I met someone who shared the same interests in books as me. It seemed like today was that day. I became friends with Ayanokouji-kun out of all people. I'm excited for what the future will bring.

I hope that we can become even closer, sharing our thoughts on novels, recommending certain books to one another, borrowing books from each other.

I hope that this friendship will last as long as it can.

I hope that, in the future, the dispute between classes won't create a crack between us.

********

Author's Notes

Hey!

I didn't really have any ideas for a SS, so here's Hiyori's perspective on her encounter with Kiyotaka on the cruise ship's library!

Coming up next is chapter 6!