Chapter 9.3 - Closing The Curtains

I intentionally lost the last event of the Event Selection Exam. However, I did it as discreetly as possible.

A part of me hoped that my classmates wouldn't cause a commotion because I lost, another part of me knew that wasn't possible.

"WHAT THE HELL AYANOKOUJI!?"

"HOW DID YOU LOSE?"

"TRAITOR!"

I entered the Class D classroom where all my classmates were waiting for me. Needless to say, they weren't pleased by my performance.

I ignored them and went to my seat. Soon, Hirata entered the room with Chabashira-sensei, gathering everyone's attention.

"Everyone sit down please. Since all events have ended, I will now announce the results of the Event Selection Exam."

She put a poster on the blackboard.

Event Selection Exam results
Class A (4 wins) | Class D (3 wins) | Winner: Class A
Class B (2 wins) | Class C (5 wins) | Winner: Class C

Class standings:
Class A | 1563 cp (+130 cp)
Class B | 1231 cp (-90cp)
Class C | 1102 cp (+190 cp)
Class D | 156 cp (-30 cp)

Every class had earned class points from midterms and final exams, and had lost a few each month for behavior.

Despite their best efforts, Class D was at the bottom of the pit. A gap of almost 1000 class points existed between them and Class C.

"These are the results. I must say, the gap between Class D and Class C has never been bigger in the entire history of this school. That is all I'll say," Chabashira-sensei coldly said while looking at me before leaving the classroom.

"Tch," Hirata was the first one to let out his frustration.

"This is Ayanokouji's fault!"

"Get him out of the class now!"

"Ayanokouji, did you lose on purpose?!"

The class turned their backs on me, and urged me to give an explanation.

"Luck wasn't on my side," I simply said.

"Don't give us that crap!"

"Like we'll believe you, traitor!"

"Chess is a much more complicated game than one might think. A tie is a common result between two players of the same level. I just happened to have taken too much time thinking about my moves," I explained.

"Tch."

"I don't buy it."

The class was even more frustrated at my lame excuse, but what I said was true. Chess is complex, a far from straightforward game. Arisu was more than a worthy opponent. Even though I've never lost against her yet, every game we played was of the highest quality.

Hirata just looked disappointed. He stood up and talked.

"Let's put this behind us, guys. Next time, I'll make sure to lead the class to victory."

"It's not your fault, Hirata, it's this traitor's fault."

"That might be true, but if we were to win other events, we would've won in the exam. Whether Ayanokouji lost on purpose or not, it's childish to put all of the blame on him," Horikita stood up and said.

"I agree! Come on guys, let's regroup and try our best next time," Kushida defended Horikita's point.

"Fine. But I'm sick of having a traitor in our class!"